Will Scirra C3 exporter have improved performance over XDK?

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:50 pm

You guys are right Canvas+ is the fastest webview engine, Corodva does recommend it for making webgl games.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:58 pm

X3M wrote:You guys are right Canvas+ is the fastest webview engine, Corodva does recommend it for making webgl games.

See, this is the problem.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Where did the Cordova project say that? I didn't think they'd recommend a competing company's proprietary technology...

If there is really that big a difference (20fps vs. 60fps) are you sure you're not on a GPU-blacklisted system or getting dropped back to canvas2d rendering? That's exactly the performance difference you'd see if that was happening. In which case really you're testing hardware-accelerated vs. software rendering, which is an unfair comparison.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Ashley wrote:Where did the Cordova project say that? I didn't think they'd recommend a competing company's proprietary technology...

If there is really that big a difference (20fps vs. 60fps) are you sure you're not on a GPU-blacklisted system or getting dropped back to canvas2d rendering? That's exactly the performance difference you'd see if that was happening. In which case really you're testing hardware-accelerated vs. software rendering, which is an unfair comparison.

I meant cocoon :
Advantages

High performance: It is the fastest webview engine.
Light weight: Only 5MB of space.
Compatibility with old OS versions.
Portability: Android, iOS, Wearables…
Specially thought and designed for Gaming.
Ultra-fast bindings: box2d, gamepad…
Disadvantages

DOM access is restricted.
It is not a full browser.
Less suitable for apps than the other webview engines.
When to use it

If you are developing canvas based game that requires mainly high performance and high FPS rate.
If your game does not require DOM UI elements and you want it to be easily portable to other OS versions and light.
If you are using a canvas based game engine, such as Phaser, Pixi, PlayCanvas, Kiwi.js …
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:18 am

Okay, but that's very different to the Cordova project saying that :P

As I said before, slower and working is better than fast and broken.

Also, I strongly suspect the performance is simply GPU blacklisting, in which case the performance difference is likely far smaller.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:56 am

Cocoon+ is faster based on my experience, but you really need to thoroughly test it, there are some features that needs to be avoided since they dont work. Cant wait for C3 to out perform intelxdk lol.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 pm

I really hope that scirras own service to build apps in C3 is alot better than phonegap.
Just tested phonegap with a tiny test game and the performance is embarrassing.

edit:
Maybe I did something wrong? I exported the project with minimum android version set to 5.0(Webview), the apk was just 1mb but the performance was horrible. Now I exported with the android setting set to 4.4(kitkat), the apk was 25mb but performance was quite acceptable.

Does someone know something about this?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:34 am

It will be valuable if the IDE supports Crosswalk Lite wrapping:
https://crosswalk-project.org/documenta ... _lite.html
Providence University, lecturer.

Tatung University, lecturer.

Consultant per question: USD$15 / time

Consultant by month: USD$300 / month

Customized project: USD$2500 / capx
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am

MonDieu wrote:I really hope that scirras own service to build apps in C3 is alot better than phonegap.

Again, I will keep repeating this, you have to check for GPU blacklisting as the very first step. Visit chrome://gpu in Chrome on the device to check. This only affects about ~5% of devices.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Ashley wrote:
MonDieu wrote:I really hope that scirras own service to build apps in C3 is alot better than phonegap.

Again, I will keep repeating this, you have to check for GPU blacklisting as the very first step. Visit chrome://gpu in Chrome on the device to check. This only affects about ~5% of devices.

I have:

Multiple Raster Threads: Disabled
Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.
Video encode: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.
WebGL2: Unavailable.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion