Will Scirra C3 exporter have improved performance over XDK?

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Ashley wrote:@MonDieu - I can't see any actual performance data you've shared in this thread, so I don't know if you're talking about 10 FPS vs. 55 FPS. If it runs OK but looks a bit janky, that turns out to be a Chrome bug on Android at the moment. Without any reason to think otherwise for the time being I would attribute any non-smooth performance issue to that bug. It'll get fixed though, Chrome had a v-sync bug in v38 which got fixed fairly quickly.

I think that would be the reason also. FPS are the same when exporting to android below or above version 5.0. However exporting to lower version that yields bigger apk
runs smooth while the other one have jerky/skippy movements.

edit:
forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60. Even on my more than 3yrs old little LG L70 low budget device (when exporting to android 4.1)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:20 pm

MonDieu wrote:forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60.

It sounds like your game is actually running great then!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Ashley wrote:

Yep it does, thanx for being patient with me :D

Now I'm eagerly awaitng more news about C3, specifically regarding Scirras own wrapping service and what kind of monetization options it will have. Have been looking into rewarded video ads but would much prefer not to have to rely on 3rd party plugins but official ones from scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 pm

MonDieu wrote:
Ashley wrote:
MonDieu wrote:Just tested phonegap with a tiny test game and the performance is embarrassing.

Honestly, this is so routine it's ridiculous. If anyone ever complains of poor performance I always try to help - and it virtually always comes down to either GPU blacklisting (known, documented and relatively minor problem affecting just a few % of devices), some silly mistake (e.g. disabling optimisations), or in this case... just mysteriously disappearing? I can't even remember the last time any performance complaint turned out to be a genuine problem - and I've looked in to a lot.

From now on, I think I will simply ignore complaints about performance. Either you provide a .capx and performance data, or I won't pay attention, because it is routinely just a waste of time. I will of course still investigate genuine problems. But I'm really tired of these constant wild goose chases. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. And it's not just you - it's lots of people, all the time.

This is also exactly why we stick to HTML5. People often accuse it of being slow, and whenever I investigate, it's always these same things. I think I'll start linking to this thread when people ask for native exporters...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 pm

@Ashley
Well sorry to ruin your day, on the bright side I now know to put in an fps counter while testing. I'll admit that, with my limited knowledge about these things, I thought jerky/skippy movement always meant low fps, now I know better.

I'll remeber to check the gpu blacklist for sure. I did however (in my defense) point out in my original post that I found it odd to be working well when exporting to lower android version and it did not occur to me that there might be a bug in the current webview software on the device (correct me if I'm wrong).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Ashley wrote:
Ashley wrote:
MonDieu wrote:Just tested phonegap with a tiny test game and the performance is embarrassing.

Honestly, this is so routine it's ridiculous. If anyone ever complains of poor performance I always try to help - and it virtually always comes down to either GPU blacklisting (known, documented and relatively minor problem affecting just a few % of devices), some silly mistake (e.g. disabling optimisations), or in this case... just mysteriously disappearing? I can't even remember the last time any performance complaint turned out to be a genuine problem - and I've looked in to a lot.

From now on, I think I will simply ignore complaints about performance. Either you provide a .capx and performance data, or I won't pay attention, because it is routinely just a waste of time. I will of course still investigate genuine problems. But I'm really tired of these constant wild goose chases. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. And it's not just you - it's lots of people, all the time.

This is also exactly why we stick to HTML5. People often accuse it of being slow, and whenever I investigate, it's always these same things. I think I'll start linking to this thread when people ask for native exporters...

Look, I showed you that I haven't got a blacklisted GPU and it always runs slow. I need to send you another capx 'cos I can't seem to get rid of third-party plugins, no matter how I try.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Sounds like debugging/ optimizing as a service might be worth looking into.
Forum based?
Store integration?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:42 am

newt wrote:Sounds like debugging/ optimizing as a service might be worth looking into.
Forum based?
Store integration?

I agree, scirra's upcoming exporter really needs to compete with cocoon instead of
matching xdk, whilst maintaining compatability properly.

Crosswalk lite would also be a great integration.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

I mean having people who would be willing to sign an nda and fix projects for users.
You wouldn't want someone who didn't know what they were doing, so some sort of credential system would have to be made.
I kind of doubt Scirra would want to add that on to all the other things they are doing.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:55 am

newt wrote:I mean having people who would be willing to sign an nda and fix projects for users.

I regularly offer to do this for free on the forum. Usually I am simply never sent a project despite asking for it, and after that, it's either GPU blacklisting or a silly mistake.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion