Win8 Comp. RTS: Dust And Destruction

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 am

I saw the Windows 8 competition and decided to try my hand at making a RTS with randomly generated levels, barely managed to submit it just in time for the 14th (Here's hoping it gets approved ). So far it's only three days work, but here's what my friend and I were able to do with the pre-made graphics from the Construct 2 art pack

If you'd like to try it early, you can play it at this link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4714446/DnD/index.html (probably works best in Firefox or Internet Explorer 10, no time to test it in Chrome yet)

We'll definitely add some more cool features like additional building construction and a tougher AI after the competition Oh, and happy to fix any bugs anyone finds too when I get time

Thanks to @Kyatric for the awesome path behavior!

Edit:

Published to Chrome Web Store (crunched down to 10MB, plays offline): Dust And Destruction Chrome Edition

Published to Clay.io (possible future integration with leaderboards of rank and achievements): http://dustanddestruction.clay.io/

Wow Clay.io is nice! Now it's a Facebook app: https://apps.facebook.com/dust_and_destruction/

Edit 20/12/2012: Finally made it after a third submission! Download it here http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/dust-and-destruction/897a48d9-83f2-438e-b4a5-3a4018aefbf5Jayjay2012-12-20 06:47:27
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 am

Nice Game. I Love RTS
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 am

@linkaevolution Thanks! Same here Although I realize that calling the game D&D will more likely be interpreted as Dungeons and Dragons
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Ah not so lucky with the first round of submission Well, here goes round 2! Also updated the program with changing construction icons depending on player color, a fullscreen option in the menus and pause screen, and some general bug fixes.

If it's still loading the old version (no Go Fullscreen option in the main and pause menus when not fullscreen, or no <Next> text in the tutorial) press ctrl+f5 to force your browser to grab the latest version
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 pm

What did they fail you on? They failed me twice because of some nitpicky snap view things, which they didn't care about last time.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 am

@EyeHawk Heh same, snap view thing here but I found that it actually was a bug. Other thing they failed me on was the store description, which doesn't really seem like something to fail the whole app submission itself over?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

Geez, it sounds like you've had a similar experience. Stuff like the failing you on the description and then having to start the whole process again is just plain stupid.

I've noticed they've gone from pretty relaxed to super retentive since the store launch. Anyway fingers crossed our games get in before the 21st!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 am

Yeah they're being pretty darn strict, I'm thinking of putting the game on other platforms in the mean time too. Heh I sure hope so @EyeHawk
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 am

Had some fun publishing it to other sites

Published to Chrome Web Store (crunched down to 10MB, plays offline): Dust And Destruction Chrome Edition

Published to Clay.io (possible future integration with leaderboards of rank and achievements): Play Dust And Destruction on Clay.io

Wow Clay.io is nice! Now it's a Facebook app: Play Dust And Destruction on Facebook

Shame I can't put it on the Scirra arcade due to it using a custom behavior Jayjay2012-12-18 06:21:56
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 am

@EyeHawk, looks like I won't be joining ya =/ Second time failing, this time for "Your app doesn't meet requirement 3.8.

The launch time and suspend time of an app depends on many variables, such as system load and configuration, which can vary from one computer to another and from one test to another. Because of this variability, a launch time or a suspend time that is just under the limit in one instance could be just over the limit, and fail the test, in another. "

Note from testers was: "App failed the Perf test in the Windows ACK" and then support center links that aren't tailored for my app.

Which is funny because the ACK part says this: "Technical compliance: passed

This tests your app with the Windows App Certification Kit. You can also run this the test locally from the SDK."

I'll remake the packages and resubmit for the fun of it, good luck to everyone who makes the competition Jayjay2012-12-20 00:51:40
B
S
G

Next

Return to Completed Creations