Win8 Comp. RTS: Dust And Destruction

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 am

That's a bummer dude - I really wish they'd be more specific about the defects. Saying you have a performance issue really isn't explaining anything, which makes debugging almost impossible. Did they say what areas were slow, and quantify what 'slow' means? Low fps, cpu usage etc, and under what sort of hardware?

Also I do remember reading somewhere that it's recommended that we run the WACK on old PCs as well, as it may fail there due to lower specs.

Anyway, don't give up hope just yet, give it a good try - if you fix it in today or tomorrow and then submit it, sometimes they can turn it around really quickly on the same day. That's what happened for my 3rd submission.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:49 am

@EyeHawk, nope, just that it doesn't start up or suspend in enough time from the looks of it, but the test message was literally that the ACK didn't accept it, but it said accepted and let me upload the packages so that's weird?

Yeah, I'll try it again tonight and hopefully it's approved by tomorrow night.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 am

@EyeHawk, wow you're right about the speed of third submission! I just got approved In a few hours it'll be published to the store!

Published: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/dust-and-destruction/897a48d9-83f2-438e-b4a5-3a4018aefbf5

Edit: I'll list some changes I had to make, like EyeHawk I made it on the third try and the third approval was in less than 1 day.

To avoid snapping errors: Pause your game on snap (and make sure it doesn't conflict with normal game pausing as was my case), if you want your game to still work maybe you can mess with canvas size at runtime though

Make sure your description and images are final and fully detailed before submission, you can't patch it up without approval and the first review took me at least 4 days to find that out.

Try this to decrease load time: use lower res graphics on the intro layout (in my case I sized a 1366x1366 graphic to 512x512, and another 512x512 graphic to 256x256. Then you can resize them in the editor which will add a little blur but performance issues should be cleared), this is what held me up the second submission. If the ACK even gives a slight warning, you can probably count it as a failure to submit to the market.

It isn't too helpful from either the pre-testing or the review comments, but if you make sure the first layout loads as quickly and correctly as possible then you'll only need to worry about in-game bugs after.Jayjay2012-12-20 06:46:21
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 am

Good luck with the competition Jay, its interesting how we all get different issues on our first submissions. Soon we'll be pro's at it and get accepted first time!Po10c2012-12-20 06:50:13
Check out our WIP:BroodImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 am

@Po10c Thanks, you too! and yeah, that's the goal :D

Your game is really cool by the way, if you're looking to put it up on other sites too you can upload to Chrome and Clay.io (and later Facebook from there), very quick to get approved and the only part that's tough is making the 10mb limit for Chrome

Export for Chrome: http://www.scirra.com/tutorials/68/publishing-to-the-chrome-web-store/page-1

Export for Clay.io: http://www.scirra.com/tutorials/349/publishing-your-game-to-the-clayio-marketplace

Export from Clay.io to Facebook as an app: http://clay.io/docs/facebookapp (There was a tricky part with testing the resizing in Facebook app settings page, I ended up going for fluid width and height though)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 am

Woohoo! Good work mate!
So it was to do with the snap/pause thing - glad it worked out
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks Jay, will see about making a shorter timed version, but in reality my game is made specifically with windows8 in mind, the idea being to snap the game and be able to see if your pet needs attention, while doing something else.
Check out our WIP:BroodImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am

Nice work

please add
1. bandboxing
2. double click to select all units of same type
3. overlap prevention
4. unit purchase requirement >= rather than >
5. victory condition

B

Post » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 pm

@unitedcommand Thanks for the feedback :) I'm definitely planning to put those features and fixes in the game when I have time for the next release. I was sure I put purchases at >= though, so I'll do more testing in the next build too.

Not sure about "Victory Condition" though, do you mean to show it in text, or have an option to win by destroying all units instead of just their fort?
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations