Windows 10 150% DPI scale on 4K causes lag/glitch/freeze

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Set of 150 hand drawn skill icons. All icons are of a high quality.
  • Problem Description

I use a 4K screen on Windows 10, with 150% DPI scaling.

I have lag/glitch/freeze in C2 event sheet with my main project (5000+ events).

On 100% DPI scale everything is perfect. Tried to force C2 to run without DPI scaling, no success.

No similar issues in other softwares or with smaller Capx files. I tested an older Capx with just 2500 events, it's laggy but no glitches or freezing.

No special plugins are used. Reinstalled C2, updated Windows and Nvidia drivers, no difference.

Observed Result

• The whole C2 is laggy overall
    • Missing icons and input boxes in event dialogs
    • After 1 to 3 clicks in event sheet C2 goes unresponsive and it freezes. Sometimes Windows Gui gets laggy too and must be restarted.

Expected Result

Run C2 on 150% DPI without glitches and freeze,

or run C2 on 100% while Windows DPI is set to 150% for other softwares.

Attach a Capx

No Capx because this affects my main project file only (5000+ events). Screenshots instead:

hedrongames.com/files/bug.png

Steps to Reproduce Bug

Step 1: Set Windows DPI scaling from 100% to 150%. (btw. this affects C2 only after restart)

Step 2: Run C2, try to add or modify an event/condition/action.

Step 3: In a few steps, the mentioned problems occur.

Affected Browsers

No browsers involved.

Operating System and Service Pack

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 16299.125

Construct 2 Version ID

construct2-r252, same happened in older versions too.

Thank you.

• Any suggestions please?

• Since no .capx was provided, I tried Space Blaster. With a 4K display on Windows 10 build 16299 at 150% dpi scale, everything looks fine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/68xgyiljv6sm69f/c2-4k-150.png?dl=0

In C2 once you get to ~5000 objects you can actually get close to hitting a limit in Windows itself for how many graphics objects it can create. It has a hard limit of 10,000 which has been the same since the Windows 3.1 days. You can try changing the "Icon mode" in settings to work around this.

FWIW in C3 we rearchitected the icon engine to avoid ever coming close to this limit so it's actually better at handling large projects, and it's also better at handling hi-DPI displays.

• Turning unique icon caching off makes it slow but stable on 150%, hooray! Thanks for the detailed explanation

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • OK, closing as presumably is the Windows limit and the workaround helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)