Windows 7

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 pm

[quote="lucid":yiyxcwg6]the drag-a-window against the side of the screen side by side view is so useful it's ridiculous[/quote:yiyxcwg6]

This is the only feature I've seen in demo videos that looks like I might actually use, but even so I would probably only need it occasionally. What other features are actually useful?

How is Pin really any different from QuickLaunch? And I don't really care about preview windows in my taskbar, I know what I'm running and where my files are. Likewise I don't care terribly about synching my media with other devices.

Then again I did hold onto Win98 for a loooong time after XP came out because I didn't really see much reason to switch. And honestly - aside from software compatibility - I still don't. Other than it looks nicer.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Windows 7 is faster and more stable than Windows XP .. That could be a reason to switch.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Aero "shake". Grab a Window and shake it. Watch the magic.
B
G

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 pm

the difference in pin and quicklaunch is that when pinning, it doesn't take up any extra space
[url:1x20frvh]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/s/objectarray3cap/coolstring.png[/url:1x20frvh]
firefox, steam, itunes, and paint are open, the only difference is that there is a square around the one's that are open, if I right click, I can open the program with recently opened documents, for instance, I can right click construct, and open it with the last 5 caps
also, by hovering the mouse over an open item on the bar, you can preview the window, to see what's going on, like how an install is going, etc.
if that's too small,move your mouse over the preview, all other windows become transparent temporarily, and you can see the full window, click at this point, and this is the new active window.
the bottom right little rectangle, closes all windows and shows desktop,
click it again to restore the same windows
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:38 am

[quote="Genesys":1x9r1a4b]Windows 7 is faster and more stable than Windows XP .. That could be a reason to switch.[/quote:1x9r1a4b]

Yes, I suppose that's true :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:48 am

I only just upgraded from Windows ME to XP a year or so ago. Don't think I'll be bothered to get this yet.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:19 am

[quote="alspal":1al6m10w]I only just upgraded from Windows ME to XP a year or so ago. Don't think I'll be bothered to get this yet.[/quote:1al6m10w]

The same. Use Windows XP SP2 Corporate Edition. Move to Windows 7? No, thanks! :D Next year I will install ReactOS.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:50 pm

[quote="lucid":1uy90ari][quote="jeffro11":1uy90ari]Running Windows 7 x64 now. Its awesome.[/quote:1uy90ari]
same here
super stable, and silky smooth
and the drag-a-window against the side of the screen side by side view is so useful it's ridiculous[/quote:1uy90ari]
I cant even install it, freezes at install.
I'll wait till they fix their freaking drivers...

[quote="Genesys":1uy90ari]Windows 7 is faster and more stable than Windows XP .. That could be a reason to switch.[/quote:1uy90ari]
Benchmark results NOW!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Well, it is inconvenient for developers when people stick to old operating systems (god forbid anyone still uses ME), especially since XP and Vista have very different file structure & security models. Windows XP is 8 years old, which is like having to support Windows 98 in 2006. Sometimes, in cases like the Windows 7/Vista ribbon, or DirectX 11, useful features are actually cut because developers know it's too much effort to use a secondary system to support everyone who's still on XP, for example. This affects Construct, especially with DirectX 11. So it'd certainly benefit me if everyone kept up to date! No need to keep using old technologies when better ones are around, or write code twice when once could do. Still, I guess that's the way things will always work - upgrades are expensive, not always better (as the initial Vista showed us), and people have inertia about sticking to what they know, which is fair enough.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Well, Windows XP developers would still have Construct 1.0. Construct 2.0 should aim higher, is what I say. Hell, it could still support DX9 runtime, for exporting games to XP.

However I am a little worried about the ribbon thingy - wouldn't it alienate Construct from other platforms? Aren't you going to make Construct more cross-platform?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic