Windows Phone Build Question CPU utilization.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:49 am

When i try the game in the regular Windows phone browser i get different CPU/FPS than from a Visual Studio Build.

Built in Phone browser. webgl
CPU: When game is idle: approx 30% (not moving around)
CPU: When moving around: 60%
FPS: When game is idle: approx 60 FPS
FPS: When moving around 58% FPS

in Visual studio Build: 8.1 universal. webgl
CPU: When game is idle: approx 25-40% (not moving around)
CPU: When moving around 55%
FPS: When game is idle: approx 60 FPS
FPS: When moving around: 35 FPS

How come the build has much lower fps? I cant' determine if it's the draw calls or or other things that seems to be less efficient on the VS build.

Any idea why this is happening?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
35
S
15
G
17
Posts: 944
Reputation: 12,210

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 am

You are building the game as a C# project or WinJS project?
Aside of that put a browser (a web view) into a XAML app is less efficently than a dedicated browser
Luca ConTato [RisingPixel]
Image
B
22
S
8
G
2
Posts: 109
Reputation: 2,893

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 am

tatogame wrote:You are building the game as a C# project or WinJS project?
Aside of that put a browser (a web view) into a XAML app is less efficently than a dedicated browser


Actually don't know. I Just took the C2 exported result and opened in Visual Studio, then deployed it to the phone. Would it make any difference? and where can i find this option of building as C# project or WinJS project?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
35
S
15
G
17
Posts: 944
Reputation: 12,210

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am

If it's a simple test app, if nothing is moving at all, then C2 does not bother redrawing the screen. So your "idle" vs "moving" measurements are actually testing the difference between "doing nothing at all" and "redrawing the screen every frame".
Scirra Founder
B
387
S
230
G
88
Posts: 24,251
Reputation: 192,454

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:09 am

@Ashley I know that, but as i just found out from this tutorial --> https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/593/windows-phone-games-with-construct-2/page-3 It seems there are some issues with the Images, some kind of security check is running on every image every tick. I'm gonna try out the tool linked in this tutorial to see if it helps.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
35
S
15
G
17
Posts: 944
Reputation: 12,210

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Here
Image
Luca ConTato [RisingPixel]
Image
B
22
S
8
G
2
Posts: 109
Reputation: 2,893

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:09 pm

tatogame wrote:Here
Image


Yes that's the one I was using. Otherwise i wouldn't get webgl support. But found what might be the issue in a link i posted previously. Will try it out later.

Image
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
35
S
15
G
17
Posts: 944
Reputation: 12,210

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:49 pm

How are you testing it? You might be testing using a Debug build instead of a release build. The debug build runs a bunch of extra stuff at the same time to give you info but it also takes away from performance.
B
6
S
1
Posts: 21
Reputation: 942

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:39 am

I'd point out Henry's article about Windows Phone was written for Windows Phone 8.0. Windows Phone 8.1 radically changed everything and made most of the points in that article out of date. Windows 10 radically changes it again. I'd basically assume everything in that article is out of date now.

In particular I remember the performance issue with images and the suggestion to base64 encode only applied to the canvas2d renderer, which is all WP8.0 supports. WP8.1+ has WebGL support which certainly makes that part of the articule redundant.
Scirra Founder
B
387
S
230
G
88
Posts: 24,251
Reputation: 192,454

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:26 pm

@Ashley There must be something causing the app to perform way worse than in a regular phone browser... In my opinion it should be the other way around.

For now my game has around 10-15 sprites on the screen at any given time. No backgrounds, no parallax, nothing. There's no noticeable difference when switching from point sampling & to linear sampling or other render settings. I can't seem to identify what's causing the game to perform so much worse as an app intead of in the stock phone browser. I havn't tried to build for android or iOS yet as i have no phones to deploy to and no dev accounts for those yet.

Anyway game performs really well on most stock phone browsers even or phones that are not that high end. I've asked lot of friends to try it out on different devices.

I don't know if it's just a Windows Phone issue, but I'll see when i get my hands on some more devices to try on.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
35
S
15
G
17
Posts: 944
Reputation: 12,210


Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron