Windows update KB4053580 causes C2 to crash

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • Problem Description

After installing Windows update KB4053580, Construct 2 crashes when opening any capx file. I've tested roughly a dozen capx file to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing. I've observed this behavior in r244 and r250.

Uninstalling Windows update KB4053580 via Windows system recovery immediately resolves the issue. I've done this process twice to verify.

--

After performing the system recovery I accidentally had the update install while C2 was running, it immediately crashed once the update was installed. C2 would not run until I rolled back the update

Attach a Capx

N/A

Description of Capx

N/A

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 install windows update KB4053580
    • Step 2 Construct 2 crashes

Observed Result

Construct 2 ties to load the capx and crashes

Expected Result_

Construct 2 should run

Affected Browsers

N/A

Operating System and Service Pack

Construct 2 Version ID

R244 (also observed in r250)

• Isn't this a problem with KB4053580 then? Shouldn't this be reported to Microsoft instead?

• Sorry, was out of town for a game jam documentary shoot. ...Point though. Do you have any advice, or resources you can point me to for reporting issues to Microsoft?

I waited until patch Tuesday and it's still a problem. I'm just a bit worried about my investment in the marketing, trailer, and PR with the launch coming up so soon and this issue. Is there any precedent for reporting bugs to Microsoft?

Scirra doesn't offer paid support for corporate entities, correct? Any other ideas? I suppose I could reset the OS, but that's an absolute last last ditch effort and would be very disruptive.

Thanks

• Good news! It seems to have resolved itself? I have no idea how or why. I'll see if I can pinpoint what changed, I applied updates yesterday and they didn't fix it. Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • UPDATE: Alright, so C2 started crashing on me again. I was trying to figure out what was different and realized I'm at a coffee shop and running on battery.

After some testing I found C2 runs fine on the NVidia dedicated graphics chip, but when it's running on the Intel Integrated chip it crashes. I can force C2 to run on the NVidia chip and that's an acceptable quickfix for the time being. I think I recall seeing something related to Intel in the patch notes, I'll need to look again.

But now, who does this bug get reported to?

• Well, that basically proves its an Intel graphics driver bug. You can try reporting it to Intel, but good luck with that, I've struggled to get any graphics vendors to pay attention in the past...

I'm afraid we can't do anything about driver bugs ourselves, so closing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)