[WIP] A Better Way to Create Complex Lighting

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:33 am

AceWay wrote:This is outstanding, I'm a fan of these kind of visual additions in games and I'm definitely looking forward to the further progress!

That might be a stupid question and a bit offtopic but.. how do you get the grenade to rotate in the way that pixels don't "change" their angle? Like it doesn't rotate smoothly as it normally does in C2 but instead it rotates like it would be rotated in Photoshop or other softwares. That's how I want to rotate my objects in my project I am working on but I thought it's impossible in C2. :D

It's running in low res, 640x360, and the Sampling is set to Point. Nothing fancy going on, it's just a sprite with a bullet behavior.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:48 am

How can i get this effect? I really would like to use this in my project.

Edit: After reading everything great job!! and when this is complete please let us all use this! i have been wanting to use lighting like this for a long time and is one of a few reasons my main project is on hold. Good luck on this effect!
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:19 pm

RookieDev wrote:How can i get this effect? I really would like to use this in my project.

Edit: After reading everything great job!! and when this is complete please let us all use this! i have been wanting to use lighting like this for a long time and is one of a few reasons my main project is on hold. Good luck on this effect!

It's definitely not ready for in-game use quite yet. It needs to be easier to set up and I want to see if I can put together a plugin that helps manage things a bit better, a kind of helper object that can be placed in the editor that will then generate lights at runtime. Otherwise, it's easy to lose track of which lights are static or dynamic/dynamic with different behaviors.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Thank you! please inform me when it is available for use.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Quick Update:

Over the holiday break I've been spending some time getting the lighting working with some pixel art from an old project; looking at grey boxes is boring and with some art to use, I can spend more time getting things to blend properly and see what kind of features are really needed. This is still an early test, and all the lights are the same color, but it's a step closer towards having a workable lighting/shadow system that could actually be used in a game efficiently.

To start, here's what the scene looks like with no lighting. The pixel art isn't very detailed, and is mostly made of flat colors.

Here's how the lighting overlays onto each layer that's affected. There's 4 Paster objects on 4 layers. The light shapes/shadows get pasted into the Paster objects on each layer after different effects have been applied, to produce varying levels of blur/blending for each layer to help separate the lighting effects. The purple color is what the Paster objects are filled with before pasting the shapes/shadows in, and acts as the "shadow" color for the layer. By changing this RGBA value, each layer with a Paster object can have its own color for this value. The layers with the Paster objects are also set to render to their own texture ("Force own texture" in the Layer properties panel), and the Paster objects are set to the Source Atop blend mode - which confines their effect to only they layer that they're on.

And when it all blends together, with the Paster objects set to Multiply on most of the layers, and Additive on the overall "bloom" layer.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 am

Wow... This really looks beautiful. It would be so nice to actually know how to do this. looking forward to it... there has been any advance?.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Burgrokash wrote:Wow... This really looks beautiful. It would be so nice to actually know how to do this. looking forward to it... there has been any advance?.

@Ashley fixed a bug with canvas resizing affecting collision cells in a recent beta (I don't remember this being mentioned in the beta, but it's working now when it wasn't before) so I've been playing with it a little bit. It won't work in C3, at least until if/when Paster gets ported, and I doubt I'll dig too deeply into adding the features I'd originally planned before C3's worked through the issues that are popping up in public testing.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm really interested in this. Upon release, will it be free to use in commercial projects? Plan to put in the Scirra store?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 pm

@digitalsoapbox

It's awesome. I'm sure it's the best way to make shadows even now. When are you planning to publish it?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 pm

@digitalsoapbox

Wow I'm impressed awesome work. I would love to use this kind of lighting for my Goatsukah game. I would have to do a lot of photoshop and compositting otherwise. (which I've had to do and stopped for now). Have you tried it on a smartphne or tablet? is it running this good there too?
Freefall Bird
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests