code is not very clear and organized due to trying to stay within the 100 events limitation
I will attempt to create a visual novel engine in less than 100 events as a proof of concept. I am not sure if I will succeed though, but I will try . I will add annotations and thoughts on the way. Please bear with me.
For now, I will try to collect needed features the engine is supposed to be able to do.
Basic features (have to be in for sure!)
- main menu with (new, load); this can possibly be worked as a normal game screen
- import a script file that will tell the game what to do and that can be edited outside of Construct 2 (similar to a RenPy Script maybe, should be kind of human-readable)
- load images
- move images
- display dialog (characters should be able to have differently colored text)
- display choices for user input
- keep track of decisions and follow the correct story branch based on that
- audio (music and speech)
- simple save and load system
- an UI
advanced features (don't have to be inside, but would be nice to have; should be done after all necessary stuff is in the game):
- skip function & other navigation (thanks Ofris)
- options for text display / hud
- multi language support (thanks Ofris)
Are there more features, that are needed and I didn't think of?