[WIP] Visual Novel Engine in 100 Events

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 pm

think of the require | on and off like:

if (condition) { ... }
the part before the dots is the on, the part after the dots is the off. One could probably make the syntax easier, and granted - the evaluation of conditions is very poorly done in the engine - this would definitely be something, that would need some more work. Like also including else, and letting the user write more evaluations than only statx >= valuey.

The capability to go to another layout can be easily added:
1) add the function name of your choice for it to the first event
2) write the function like in the picture
3) in the script you then can use "layout | layoutname" and it will work - just make sure that your minigame layout goes back to the game layout some time ^^.

Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks @mindfaQ It works. This is very great. Thanks a lot, I learn many things
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:32 pm

@mindfaQ, I managed to add several functions like playing video in the game. The problem is how to make the choices to appear after the video (instead of text) ends? Thanks^^
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 pm

If you can detect in an event when a video ends, you could just do:

on video finished playing:
add 1 to position
call "run" ()

If you have no indicator when a video finishes, but the user also has no control over the video, you could start a timer with the length of the video + some small leeway, and on this timer, you do the same actions above.

If you want the user to be able to skip the video, ofc you need to add that functionality, too (on left click and video running -> stop video, position +1, run, something likw that)
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:08 am

Hello MindfaQ!!! I was searching for a VN engine that I can use on the free Construct 2 program and this works great! Thank you so much! :D I am planning to make a simple side-scrolling game that involves talking to characters, so I feel like this will help a lot. :D

Edit: I'm wondering how to add more than two choices? I am confused what "require" does, even after reading the note in the event sheet.
B

Post » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Does this work with the free version of Construct 2? I was going to use Webstory Engine or Renpy, but the additional features in Construct 2 make this definitely worth trying out! :)
B

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 am

Hot dang! I can't wait to see what comes of this!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm

3doutlaw wrote:Does this work with the free version of Construct 2? I was going to use Webstory Engine or Renpy, but the additional features in Construct 2 make this definitely worth trying out! :)

Yes, it works with C2 free. But you can't extend it, because it already sits at approx. 100 events. I would recommend using an established engine, or even better make an engine with C2 with the Personal Edition that's not bound to free version limits (and thus a lot better organized, encapsulated, readable).

Looking back at this, I see many areas of improvement (partially because of the limits, but also because I keep learning).
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Hello mindfaQ,

I've been working on tweaking your engine to allow the Player character to talk to different NPCs and call up dialog, as well as a system to save values for choices using Rex's CSV plugin so if a certain value is at a certain number, it will change the dialog. I got everything working, I think! :D Everything is still under 100 events. I'm wondering if it's OK if I upload the in progress .capx?
B

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:45 pm

There already is a system to save choices and pick dialogs accordingly, although its not perfect.

I don't mind if you upload your own iteration of the project :).
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests