Would Like Some Team-mates!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 am

[quote="Attan":vols9awi]Yeah, i understand what you mean. :roll: [/quote:vols9awi]

Yikes, I hope I didn't offend you. I didn't mean to insinuate that you personally didn't know what you were doing, or that you'd never finish your project. I was just expressing my personal opinion on the subject of working with groups in general.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:48 am

No you didn't offend me 8) That's why i wrote "i understand what you mean"

You have all right to be suspicious, as i don't have a body of my own work to show. The body of my own work i have to show is what's in that document of plans, the music for jamies revenge, and a bunch of engines.

What i do know though, is that every time i've worked in a group, i haven't abbandoned the project.

I do know that i've abbandoned most of my projects, but i also know why. The most common reason is that a new and better idea came to my mind. Another is that i've got just some weak fantasy about what the game should be like, but when i started making it, i realized that i really didn't know what i was doing.

I've guarded myself from these things for this project, and working in a team is like an ensurance that i won't give it up, since i don't want to abandon the others. But if you have bad experience from working in groups, I won't bother you :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 am

I wasn't being mean or grumpy either. :( You sound very intelligent and confident, as well as realistic, so the negative perspective cannot really apply to yourself. It's just something I felt vaguely relevant and offered up.

It is much more exciting working on a project with a team, but only when each member is, with some amount of talent, contributing to the process. The opposite is sadly something too often encountered.

Not to say people shouldn't 'start somewhere'. But before trying to add to a team effort, one should have individual experience to draw from. One particularly disappointing example is, when a team of teenage dreamers were making their epic RPG and I was drawing/modeling some stuff for it, they went and recruited anyone and everyone regardless of skill level, as though they (the core developers) had no discerning eye at all. It rather disappointed me to find that, despite all the frontal semi-professionalism, the founders of the project knew approximately nothing about games and game development at all. The design document had a massive fantasy world described, but was vague on play and content issues; a strong starting plan and direction being so important, I couldn't help but feel it was a lost cause to try righting.

On the other hand, it was probably a lot of my being critical that caused myself to leave them. I did learn a lot about teamwork from that brief encounter, and if ever I would join a team project again, my perspective would be different and much more open, if always remaining skeptical at first.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 am

i guess the problem with many epic projects is that people plan the story, and the world first. Well... that won't be a problem since i haven't planned anything about the story. It's five packed pages of gameplay.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 am

What sort of visual style does the game demand?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:49 am

Do you talk about the graphic style? I don't really know :? Spriting isn't my strong side. I'm practicing right now to be able to do graphics for the game, but i haven't decided yet what grade of realism it's going to have.

Are you good at animating and want to help, then you do it your style (if it's not to extreme, or to ugly :shock: ) I'm soure we will agree of something.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 am

Visual style greatly depends on the type of game, in my opinion. Is it a fast-paced platformer with unrealistic physics? Colorful and stylized graphics might be best. Gritty space simulator with turn-based, strategic combat? Something more realistic sounds like it would suit the concept better.

Since I guess you're keeping this under wraps, I might be interested in helping, but am mostly just curious at this point... send your stuff? Perhaps, if you don't mind. Though it seems you may already have the art department duties covered.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:44 pm

My attitude to making games has always been to start, and ask questions later! Maybe that's the wrong way round ;) but you might make more progress if you just get started, and see where you end up...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:45 pm

[quote:24fx4rxy]Since I guess you're keeping this under wraps, I might be interested in helping, but am mostly just curious at this point... send your stuff? Perhaps, if you don't mind. Though it seems you may already have the art department duties covered.
[/quote:24fx4rxy]

Actually, the graphics part is the weakest point of creating this game. Since I'll be doing most of the game, I'm right now trying to learn some pixel art, but someone a little more experienced with graphcis should be perfect!

It's no space stuff.. It's a platformer, and the graphics will be very different depending on where you are, what time of the day it is, what time of the month it is, what weather it is, and what time of the year it is :wink:

pm me your email, and i'll send you the plans 8)

[quote:24fx4rxy]My attitude to making games has always been to start, and ask questions later! Maybe that's the wrong way round Wink but you might make more progress if you just get started, and see where you end up...[/quote:24fx4rxy]

I'm not asking questions. I would like to do this as a team project, and hopefully with some constructors.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

[quote="Vrav":3045jc74]One particularly disappointing example is, when a team of teenage dreamers were making their epic RPG and I was drawing/modeling some stuff for it, they went and recruited anyone and everyone regardless of skill level, as though they (the core developers) had no discerning eye at all. It rather disappointed me to find that, despite all the frontal semi-professionalism, the founders of the project knew approximately nothing about games and game development at all. The design document had a massive fantasy world described, but was vague on play and content issues; a strong starting plan and direction being so important, I couldn't help but feel it was a lost cause to try righting.[/quote:3045jc74]

Did the name of this project happen to be "The Zybourne Clock?" If so, I feel your pain. I offered to draw some sprites for them but they never even decided on what the characters should look like.

What I find particularly funny is that the one person on the project with any real game making skill (Arthur Lee, who's making The Underside right now) was kicked off the team for criticizing their organizational skills.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic