Would love feedback on this control scheme

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • http://www.kurie.us/Games/PrototypeB/

I'm starting work on a new game. One of the many design decisions I am figuring out is the control scheme. I'm weighing the idea of a twin joystick design for a side scrolling shooter. I threw together a quick prototype game today. I'd love some feedback on the control scheme. It built around the game pad with fallback controls to the keyboard/mouse.

• Just tried it with a gamepad. Works good but I would include it to fire on the A button and offer the left pad for direction as alternate control options. But that's just me. Offering both let's the player choose.

• It's a bit hard to play with a gamepad because of the 8-directional movement. A lot of time I want to go left but the game register it as up-left because I angle the stick just a little bit to much up. It would be nice if the control allowed you to move in any angle instead of locking you to 45 degrees interval.

• Tried with mouse and keyboard, since it's all I have here. Seems like fairly standard twin stick shooter fare, but the movement of the ship seems lacking a little - there's no inertia, it just stops and goes which feels a little weird (or perhaps it's a little slow for such direct controls).

Also, this has nothing to do with the controls, but top-down graphics on a sideways scroller just feel REALLY weird.

• I tried it with the gamepad and it feels completely natural to me.

• I really appreciate the feedback. I've got some things to consider. This game is a test run for some things. The feedback is immensely useful though and gave more more things to consider then I thought.

• Hey mepis,

Looking good. Just gave it a quick try, the control scheme was alright (keyboard + mouse). I have to agree with Somebody through on the top down side scrolling. It would feel nicer if it was all side view.

• That helps a lot! This is only a concept demo for a different game on working on. I was planning on using top-down graphics for that game as well though. I know to take a different route with that now.

• With keyboard it is terrible. Return for start. Space to shoot instead of mouseclick?

You should overwork your player design. Something with turret like my hovertank.

[attachment=0:2zq98x1p][/attachment:2zq98x1p]

Background scrolling is to fast.

• JamesXXXYZ I agree. The mouse button would have been a better choice but I built this prototype on my laptop. The mouse buttons is more difficult to press and move the mouse pointer. I only built this to test the mechanic and see how it feels. It's a test for another game I'm designing. I'm trying a few different mechanics and wanted to get some feedback on the appeal of the twin stick control scheme. So far everyone has given me really valuable input and I really appreciate it.

• Hi mepis! I liked what you had so far but, as eliasfrost said, the 8-direction movement threw me off.

For the gamepad, I was recently given a solution to get the actual angle of the thumbstick. I used the expression for rotation, but it should work for moving at a specific angle too.

All props go to linkman2004 who came up with it.

angle(0, 0, Gamepad.Axis(0, 0), Gamepad.Axis(0, 1))[/code:2z5huxo1]
    That will grab the current angle of the stick, so maybe it'll work better than using 8-direction.
    I hope that helps!
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • the movements are really fluids keep up the good work.

• ryanrybot Thanks for the suggestion. I'll play around with it and try it. The deadspot zone for the 8 way movement can be adjusted too to eliminate that floatiness.

It's a double edged sword. The 8 way movement makes creating multiple control schemes easy and the game 'feels' the same switching back and forth. But better granular control is always a plus to. Either way, I'll have to play with it and see. Maybe I'll have to make another 2 hour game demo and try the controls your way and see how it feels.

• I found an example capx, left stick move and right 360° aiming

thx GeometriX

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)