Would love feedback on this control scheme

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 am

http://www.kurie.us/Games/PrototypeB/

I'm starting work on a new game. One of the many design decisions I am figuring out is the control scheme. I'm weighing the idea of a twin joystick design for a side scrolling shooter. I threw together a quick prototype game today. I'd love some feedback on the control scheme. It built around the game pad with fallback controls to the keyboard/mouse.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 am

Just tried it with a gamepad. Works good but I would include it to fire on the A button and offer the left pad for direction as alternate control options. But that's just me. Offering both let's the player choose.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

It's a bit hard to play with a gamepad because of the 8-directional movement. A lot of time I want to go left but the game register it as up-left because I angle the stick just a little bit to much up. It would be nice if the control allowed you to move in any angle instead of locking you to 45 degrees interval.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Tried with mouse and keyboard, since it's all I have here. Seems like fairly standard twin stick shooter fare, but the movement of the ship seems lacking a little - there's no inertia, it just stops and goes which feels a little weird (or perhaps it's a little slow for such direct controls).

Also, this has nothing to do with the controls, but top-down graphics on a sideways scroller just feel REALLY weird.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:57 pm

I tried it with the gamepad and it feels completely natural to me.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm

I really appreciate the feedback. I've got some things to consider. This game is a test run for some things. The feedback is immensely useful though and gave more more things to consider then I thought.
Kurieus
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Hey mepis,

Looking good. Just gave it a quick try, the control scheme was alright (keyboard + mouse). I have to agree with Somebody through on the top down side scrolling. It would feel nicer if it was all side view.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 pm

That helps a lot! This is only a concept demo for a different game on working on. I was planning on using top-down graphics for that game as well though. I know to take a different route with that now.
Kurieus
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 am

With keyboard it is terrible. Return for start. Space to shoot instead of mouseclick?

You should overwork your player design. Something with turret like my hovertank.
0000.png

Background scrolling is to fast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Playable games:
http://jamesxxxyz.newgrounds.com/
Newest: Blue and red arrows
Latest update: Blue and red arrows

What you want in C3?
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=122050

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLE7Ml ... /playlists
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:51 am

@JamesXXXYZ I agree. The mouse button would have been a better choice but I built this prototype on my laptop. The mouse buttons is more difficult to press and move the mouse pointer. I only built this to test the mechanic and see how it feels. It's a test for another game I'm designing. I'm trying a few different mechanics and wanted to get some feedback on the appeal of the twin stick control scheme. So far everyone has given me really valuable input and I really appreciate it.
Kurieus
B
S

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests