Wow ClickTeam Hates Construct!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 am

[quote]And let us strive to find a way to make all hatred cease.[/quote]sved2011-08-08 07:52:53
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:21 am

Apparently Constructs developers used to make extensions for MMF before making construct. Also Construct uses the same events method (Click programming) and a similar program layout which is why they might have problems with Scirra. Both company's probably have issues with the other however i am guessing.

As for the reason they would have edited/deleted your post is because they are a business and want to make sales. If people are discussing other software it might loose them sales so it is understandable, some other company's will do exactly the same thing also.

I don't get this whole go to a official forum to make a Vs thread really though. If you are posting on a programs forum it will always be the winner because most if not all the people posting reply's will be using that program.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I thought they removed mention of any competitor... this is different though.

Davo and I used to write extensions for MMF 1.5. I myself wrote about 18 extensions under the alias "Tigerworks" (listed here), some very powerful with a great deal of work spent on them. I did it all voluntarily, for free. (I did get a free license and a small gift payment after finishing Iso Grid 2, though.) Eventually we got frustrated with limitations in making extensions and got started with our own editor, Construct Classic. Despite all the work we'd done for them off our own back they took serious issue to this. I suppose they wanted us to keep doing voluntary work for them instead of giving them a new competitor.

Anyways at the time this went down badly: we were young and immature at the time, so we had a certain amount of insensitivity and bravado about starting our own project. I regret that we didn't handle it well, but on the other hand, neither did they - threats were made against us, and it was a pretty bad time for all.

Since then there's always been some tension. It's a shame, but at the end of the day all we want to do is write good software, and competition makes everyone work harder, so the users win. It's also made worse by users of either program stating strong opinions (read: being involved in flamewars), so please be careful about what you say about the subject, either here or on any other website. It was all over long ago so there's not much new for anyone to comment on - everyone's heard it all before. Also, they're free to control their forums as they see fit - if they don't want posts about competitors on there, well, they don't have to.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks for the information. I used TGF/MMF for a long time, so I've seen your extensions and used them in several of my games. I don't think I ever made any comments, but I appreciated them a great deal.

In the end, I decided to leave their community because I felt their newest products were quite overpriced (if I remember correctly, the full version of Multimedia Fusion 2 costs over 300 USD) and I wanted a free (or at least cheaper) alternative. I can see how some people don't like how similar TGF/MMF and Construct are to each other. But personally I think it is a positive thing, because it made it much easier for me to switch between the two programs since I was already familiar with the functionality. And if it isn't broken, there's no need to fix it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 am

Constructs event system is so much more organized than mmfs, calling them similar is insulting imo, and laughable. you cant even see how each check/action in which row is ordered, and what that event is doing, plus the weird array style editor with objects all lined up is impossible to work with unless your project has like 4 objects. It's good but i got so fed up making anything complicated. it's just so innately disorganized.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Tigerworks extensions. I remember those.

And the event system is similar to MMFS "Eventlisteditor", but more advanced and easy to read.
Everyone CAN see the similarities.

Urled2011-08-09 16:41:06
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 am

Yeah but they designed the checkbox method to be more efficient. Don't think anyone actually works in that interface view.

alspal2011-08-10 04:03:10
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 am

This is getting a little out of hand, the whole MMF2 vs Construct thing. If a program can make a good game, then that's all that matters. And to be melodramatic, it saddens me deeply, that developers would use their own preferences to create nothing but destruction! Every thing has its pros and cons, so lets not turn this forum into a "MMF2 hate area". If you actually want to compete, make some games! Show what Construct can do, not compare it to other programs.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

+1 melodious...harrio2011-08-10 13:38:53
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 am

Thank you sir!
B
S