Wrapper Expirement

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:29 am

Not much progress as of late. The culprits are technical difficulties mainly, so I have to change my approach.

@Nesteris
It's a cool idea, but I don't have enough time for such a project. Python would be a cool language for the editor, but no so much for speed in the game itself. I'm using it here because it has allowed be to make the wrapper fairly quickly, but the side effect is it runs slower.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:41 am

R0J0hound wrote:Not much progress as of late. The culprits are technical difficulties mainly, so I have to change my approach.

@Nesteris
It's a cool idea, but I don't have enough time for such a project. Python would be a cool language for the editor, but no so much for speed in the game itself. I'm using it here because it has allowed be to make the wrapper fairly quickly, but the side effect is it runs slower.

How slow would we be talking; noticeably slower or slower in the sense that you'd need to benchmark it to see the difference?

I was thinking Python since it's perfect for something like an editor in the way Construct 2 has one, and it doesn't "collect garbage" like JavaScript if I'm not wrong. It could be great for 2D games since they probably won't need max specs, but I doubt it could be used for 3D games (Imagine what the specs would be if Crysis was done in Python :twisted: ).
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:05 pm

Well according to benchmarks JavaScript is anywhere from 3 to 60 times faster than python.
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org ... g2=python3

Python is still garbage collected and yes it can be used for games, even 3d ones. Usually though for 3d the engine part is made in C and python is used for the scripting parts that don't need to be fast as possible.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Have you looked this library?

https://github.com/StevenChristy/SFML2-V8-Binding

btw, can you try this game if is smooth and faster on your pc?

https://code.google.com/p/proto-engine/downloads/list
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 pm

R0J0hound wrote:Well according to benchmarks JavaScript is anywhere from 3 to 60 times faster than python.
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org ... g2=python3

Python is still garbage collected and yes it can be used for games, even 3d ones. Usually though for 3d the engine part is made in C and python is used for the scripting parts that don't need to be fast as possible.

Why is Python so slow?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 pm

@Joannesalfa
I have, but I'm wrapping the html5 api to sfml. It's not an issue using a graphics library since I'll only be using a small subset of it. The issue currently is I haven't been able to build the V8 library yet.

That game seems to go fast, but I have no idea if it's faster.

@Nesteris
Because it's interpreted. So is Javascript for that matter but it's faster because portions of the code is compiled to machine code when it's run.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:37 am

@R0J0hound

Is it possible to compile the entire code to machine code? Or would that defeat the purpose of coding languages?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:45 am

With some programming languages you can, but with python and js you can't, at least not fully.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests