XBOX ONE UWP performance?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • So i have an xbox one lying around since Christmas not doing much. PS4 and PC are the current platforms of choice in my household.

But anyway tonight thought i would sign up the £12 for a dev licence. Downloaded visual studio. Put the dev app on the xbox. Use the uwp export in construct 3. With not much faffing around got the game deployed to xbox one.

All that beautiful gaming specific hardware gave me

15 fps ????!!!!

This is a game that funs 60 in i5 with integrated and runs 40-60 on most phones.....

Is this the reality of uwp on xbox one ????

Are there some settings im missing

It says its running web gl

But The cpu is going to 90%+ would normally be 20% on my pc and maybe 40% on phones so....

Wtf?

• You're supposed to turn on the thing next to the thing, beside the other whatyamacallit.

Its right under it.

• newt, behave... xbox one was going to be my path to glory,,, no more working for the man... beach side property... lambo on the drive... full entourage of playboy models catering to my every need..... then ..... 15 frames per second ..... god damn it...

• If only there was some way to tell or show us what you did, minus the Lamborghini, and entourage.

Have you tried turning it off then back on again?

• newt, behave... xbox one was going to be my path to glory,,, no more working for the man... beach side property... lambo on the drive... full entourage of playboy models catering to my every need..... then ..... 15 frames per second ..... god damn it...

• UWP doesn't have full access to the hardware, so native or not that's a big let-down. I think the Edge browser also has some issues with HTML5 games still.

Your experience sounds an awful lot like the exporting option to a certain Nintendo product in C2 ....

• But The cpu is going to 90%+ would normally be 20% on my pc and maybe 40% on phones so....

Sounds like the game is CPU-bound so you should take a look in the debug profiler back in C2 and see what the busiest areas are. You can also run it on Edge on Windows and see how that compares.

IIRC the latest Edge update does improve JS performance a lot, but I'm not sure if that update has made it to the Xbox One yet.

• Here's some information on what you can expect with UWP apps & games on Xbox One: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/system-resource-allocation

• hi Ashley

out of curiosity why are you interested in edge performance?

does UWP run js through edge ?

on my dev PC (surface pro i5 with integrated graphics) my game runs beautifully on edge, 60fps/20-40%cpu, butter smooth, feels even better than Chrome.

so it must be down to some possible bad settings or a combination of the xbox UWP hardware restrictions and whatever way UWP handles the JS code.

In the name of scientology I will try another test this weekend.

• In the name of scientology I will try another test this weekend.

• The first thing to check would be the Edge version in both cases, to see if the Xbox has got the latest update.

• In the name of scientology I will try another test this weekend.

I suggest you start by running tests designed to measure performance. There was a downloadable file for the Bunny Test somewhere on this forum if I remember right. You can also set up custom projects with ever spawning moving objects and compare the results on PC, phone and Xbox. I'd be interested in any results you may post here.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley I cannot find the xbox edge version , i looked through every menu but couldnt see it.

glerikud I compiled the 3 construct 3 performance test demos. So you can compare your own results against Xbox uwp.

For Xbox one s on uwp

fill rate done at 376 sprites. (Vs 129 on my i5 surface pro)

Bbox done at 1157 sprites. (Vs 25,654 on my i5 surface pro)

Quad done at 3982 sprites (vs 94,209 in my i5 surface pro)

As you can see the xbox graphics gpu fill rate is better ... Yea. Party.....(surface pro is integrated gfx so expected)

But....... The other numbers are totally wtf. It looks like the xbox CPU is being nerfed into oblivion when using uwp.

I made videos and can post if you like but it is just me launching remote machine debug from visual studio to Xbox one. Nothing to watch.

However here is a video showing 60 FPS on surface pro vs <10fps on Xbox one uwp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AQ9z ... p=drivesdk

Note in visual studio I am selecting remote machine debug. Selecting universal platform under project config and putting in the xbox IP address , that is it.

There seems to be a couple of posts on the unity forum detailing exactly the same 10 /15 fps with xbox uwp. one guy has profiles to indicate that only one cpu out of 8 is being used and that cpu is maxing at 10% capacity. There are no follow up solutions.

Im sure im doing something wrong. maybe its because its debug mode so its slowing down visual studio pc side to analyse the code.? i fully admit i have no idea what i am doing so anyone who has deployed to xbox one????

Ive been through all the instructions 10 times and from everything ive read there shouldn't be any such performance issues even with the uwp hardware restrictions.

Theres even an ms page mentioning construct https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... lanes-html

Ill have another play tonight

• NetOne Thank you for the measurements and the video. Those numbers are indeed strange. Something seems to be terribly off with Xbox UWP.

• Right so, I have been playing around with Visual Studio.

It is truly a horrible piece of software

I have been deploying in "debug" mode. This is clearly analysing all the script and performance frame to frame, and doing so causes the 10/15 fps.

so then I tried deploy in "release" mode. this should give real performance results, Visual studio will not let me do this. it keeps throwing up errors saying I haven't specified the "remote" build machine when the xbox which it sees has been clearly selected in the config menu under release configuration. I got around this by specifying the ip address instead but then it starts the build but cannot complete the build because my "firewall may be blocking connections". I disable firewall. no change. This sort of stuff is beyond me.

so I go back to debug mode, again no problems it sees the xbox but the dbug mode is clearly slow.

so then I select performance profiler under debug mode this appears to be a debug mode but runs without the debuging data and instead gives a nice graph of performance.

surprise - things are looking much better. now getting 30-40 FPS game is almost playable.

so this is as far as I have got. but it makes me suspect that if I could get the release mode working things would be much better

in fact what I really want to do is just build an uwp app and side load it without any visual studio intervention and just see how it plays.

is this possible? nobody here deployed to xbox? anyone give any insight?

Scirra

Ashley understand you are busy with C3 but when you can could you guys put together a tutorial / guide for xbox deployment.

PS small update ok I got the "release" deployment working by randomly selecting "x64 architecture" (FYI MS recommend any selecting "any CPU") so it had nothing to do with firewall. but no change in performance 30-40 fps.

im going to leave it here for now and have slightly changed the title of the post to reflect these findings

I would love someone who knows what they are doing with visual studio to pitch in.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)