XBOX ONE

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am

I loved xbox 360 but it looks like I'm reverting back to sony :P their ps3 was a let down but this ps4 seems pretty cool... I might actually just stick to PC lol but chances are if I get one of the new consoles it's looking like it might have to be the playstation over the xbox this time.

:S

@TheHen: How are you doing mate!? lol How random it is to see you on here... I'll send you a PM to keep the thread on topic :P Patriick2013-05-27 00:30:44
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 pm

What's wrong with the D-Pad now...???
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 am

I'm not sure if someone has made this point already, but I had an interesting thought about the Xbox One.
Paraphrased from an email I wrote recently:
[QUOTE]...Seeing how the Xbox One is aiming to be an all-in-one entertainment machine, my question is this: Who owns the console?

For example, you may have bought a TV for your living room. While you certainly own that TV, you can't do with it as you want. The TV belongs to the family, and you need the family's approval before you can do anything with or to it.

With that in mind, the Xbox One would be just like that TV. If you want to take it to a friend's house or you're going out of state and you want to play with it, you can't. It would depriving the family of the console's services.

You also can't use the "Snap" features (like watching a movie and making a Skype call at the same time), because that would interrupt what the family is doing with it.

Basically, I don't think Microsoft thought this console through very well...[/QUOTE]
Who is this Xbox marketed to? If it's for the family, they can't really use the "snap" features without degrading their entertainment experience ("It's like watching a movie with your cell phone on"). If it's for a single person, they can't really play games on it as much, because the family would be busy watching TV, movies, etc on it (if the console is in the living room as Microsoft wants).

Any thoughts? :P
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:40 am

This might be a little off subject, but from what cryptic information I've gathered from the few releases I've read, it sounds like you may have to have a game registered to your online account to play it. Meaning, you can't lend games to friends, rent from Gamefly, etc.

If that's true (which I doubt will get through in the end), and they'd let DRM stomp on their own customers, I don't hold out much hope for their future indie support.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 am

[QUOTE=RandomFellow] This might be a little off subject, but from what cryptic information I've gathered from the few releases I've read, it sounds like you may have to have a game registered to your online account to play it. Meaning, you can't lend games to friends, rent from Gamefly, etc.

If that's true (which I doubt will get through in the end), and they'd let DRM stomp on their own customers, I don't hold out much hope for their future indie support.[/QUOTE]
Microsoft has been confusing since they revealed the system. the talk is yes, you have to register the game. there's a unique code that gets added to your account. you sell said game back to the store the next person that buys it when registering to their account, it gets added to theirs and revokes your game.
they mentioned indie a few days ago. which still sounds like they are handpicking select titles. for now we'll just have either wait what they have to say at E3 or move on and just stick to PC and their plethora is digital distribution, android, ios, blackberry, wii u (when they have it all sorted), and hopefully ps4 and vita.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 am

If they go through with that terrible idea (also, the next Halo game gets canceled and all Madden fans die painfully of a virulent space plague), people might actually stop buying their systems.

.... probably.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 pm

My Wii U comment was deleted.

Huh?
HARMLESS SIGNATURE THAT IS VIEWED BY OTHERS AS OFFENSIVE AND CONTROVERSIAL
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:23 pm

I think the XBOX One is a terrible idea, starting with its name. Console makers have been shooting themselves in the foot lately. Not sure why they've all suddenly forgotten how to make a decent one.

FORCING you to use Kinect? FORCING you to PAY to use a code to play used games? No backwards compatibility for a system that already has a massive install base (360)? Are they all on heroin at Microsoft?

This is a debacle of epic proportions.MrMiller2013-06-02 18:23:53
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 pm

[QUOTE=MrMiller]
FORCING you to use Kinect? [/QUOTE]

Lol, just put a piece of paper in front of the camera.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:55 pm

The Xbox One will be at least tolerable when you jailbreak it. I hope it will have some games in that way...

Wii U is/will still better.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas