XDK splash screens, Crosswalk for Android build

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:55 am

All you have to do is upload your splash screen image and it and it will spit out all the files. All 9 patch seems to be is a name.9.png file or something like that. I think your image has to be in the new xdk sizes.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 am

xach wrote:All you have to do is upload your splash screen image and it and it will spit out all the files. All 9 patch seems to be is a name.9.png file or something like that. I think your image has to be in the new xdk sizes.

Thanks. I think when the XDL build servers are back online I'll try a build without splash screens, but this is nice to know.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:54 am

even if you untick the spalsh screen option in XDK, sample splash screen files will still be included in the apk which makes no sense
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 am

The only problem with not using a splash screen is you get an extended black screen to look at. I think my products should be better then looking at a black screen while crosswalk loads on your device. Thats the reason I went out of my was to try and solve this.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 am

xach wrote:The only problem with not using a splash screen is you get an extended black screen to look at. I think my products should be better then looking at a black screen while crosswalk loads on your device.

Yes I was worried about that. Can't wait until the XDK builds are back online so I can work on this.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm

@xach I tried more ways of building the 9patch including Photoshop, the online utility shown here and another one but my splash is still stretched. Can you share yours please or at least a dummy one to see where are the 1 px border positioned?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:56 am

Mine stretches too just a little is yours completely distorted?
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:12 am

@xach Yes..looks like 20% distortion. The left is the original one and on the right is a snapshoot from my phone
So in mine opinion 9patch solution is not working
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:08 am

So intel https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/ ... ld-options recommends you use 9 patch.

They suggest you use the http://developer.android.com/tools/help/draw9patch.html Android SDK Draw 9-patch.

I just used that utility because it was quicker but there is still alot we could learn. I'm not saying its perfect but it did display my splashscreen on my device a whole lot better. And if we all want to keep using crosswalk intel just told us we have to understand 9-patch.
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 am

xach wrote:So intel https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/ ... ld-options recommends you use 9 patch.

They suggest you use the http://developer.android.com/tools/help/draw9patch.html Android SDK Draw 9-patch.

I just used that utility because it was quicker but there is still alot we could learn. I'm not saying its perfect but it did display my splashscreen on my device a whole lot better. And if we all want to keep using crosswalk intel just told us we have to understand 9-patch.

Thanks this explains a lot. I'll see if I can get it working :)

Note: I did try to turn off the splash screen option in the XDK build settings, but I got warnings in the build log like:

Warning: ldpi launch icon not found.
Warning: mdpi launch icon not found.
Warning: hdpi launch icon not found.
Warning: xhdpi launch icon not found.
Installing splash screen "drawable-ldpi/splash.png"
Warning: Splash screen not found.
Installing splash screen "drawable-mdpi/splash.png"
Installing splash screen "drawable-hdpi/splash.png"
Installing splash screen "drawable-xhdpi/splash.png"

However I didn't remove the actual splash images from the www folder, and I still got the splash screens :shock: So I'm confused, but I will try the 9patch thing now that I understand the concept more :)

Edit: ok so the image sizes that the 9patch tool spits out are not as per the XDK..
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General