Xefni Abstract Platformer- MVI (devlog)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:29 pm

I wanted the stones to rotate again, so I did a quick hack to make the object rotation with normal maps work well enough. Here is the result:

For each rotating object, I change the location of the light X,Y so, that the light location rotates around the object/normal map in the opposite direction with a fixed distance. Using some basic trig to figure out the formulas for the X,Y location of the light, I got this effect, which looks pretty good. Generally, the shadows are on the bottom of the stones and the lit portions are on the top. This models uniform moonlight (not the point light of the lantern) coming from above the stones. Using x=R*cos(angle), y=R*sin(angle) to define the circle trajectory (with adjustments for 90 being coming from above and 180 to make it on the correct side.) I think there is a good chance I can make it look better by adjusting and changing the normal maps themselves (in Sprite Dlight.)

Event snippet (must do adjustment separately for each stone since they are rotating differently, on creation, I capture the UID of each normal map associated with each stone diffuse texture.)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:06 pm

From your events snip shot I realize that we can create local variables under every tick condition. :D
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:46 am

Added some more parameters to the level description:
- How 'full' the trees are in terms of blossoms (e.g. from full blossom to bare branches, done through Animation of the branch sprite)
- How many petals fall (so, few blossoms in tree, fewer blossoms falling.)
- Added light mask over lamp, so trees are roughly lit based on distance from lamp
- Overall looks a little dark so tweaking that.
- I have a very rough narrative: start with full branches, lots of petals, go to less full branches and fewer petals, now working on an 'end' level, which will cap the 'narrative.'

Branches with fewer blosssoms:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 pm

really cool man....
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests