Y8 is Publishing HTML5 games

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Message: eddieone can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 2 URLS modified. Why?
For 10 years Y8 has been a big player in Flash games. Now that Flash is dying, we are looking to host more games using open standards. Everyone is welcome to submit games on the Y8 upload page. We are working on an Adsense revenue split for game developers. So if you want to earn money, you will need to be at least 18 and it helps to have an Adsense account already. Though, in many cases we can help there too. So if you want to share your games, do these things:

[*] Upload here http://static.y8.com/upload
[*] If you want rev split email us here [email protected] Let us know if you have adsenses or not, list of games helps too.
B

Post » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Not sure if I would trust them seeing as how two of my games ended up there without my permission.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:58 am

Hi @newt ,

That's not good.

How does this happen?

Is it because the companies hosting your game have been compromised or have shared your game without permission?

Or is it possible to rip html games straight off rival host websites?

or other....?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm

The latter, put the games from both Gamejolt, and Newgrounds into an iframe.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi Newt, our content team will search for games that are not on our network. Though we prefer to work with developers, to get our APIs added to games. We are transitioning away from flash but as you can see from our new games page, it's slow. Let me send your contact details to our business people. It would be nice to get more html5 games and also with a deal that is good for you. :D
B

Post » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

Not only Y8, there are other popular gaming sites like kongregate, agame.com also now publishing HTML 5 game. Some websites are converting flash game to html5 game even.
B

Post » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 am

True, there are others. They don't have handsome developers that hang around these parts as much though. ;p
B

Post » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Wait wait wait.. hold up.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

let me get this right...

Im a bit slow at the best of times, especially when it comes to all this tech stuff.

but @newt & @Ashley

are we saying that if I make a html game and host it on a website, iframe or other,

then anyone , eg in this case @eddieone (btw happy that you are here commenting on this and offering to work with newt)

can just come along and rip it and stick it on his own site and there is nothing anyone can do to stop this ?????

(could we not at least write in a host ip check that could be in a specific build for each host ? suppose would be easy to bypass?)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Yeah checking urls is the go to method.
Of course that's complicated if the host uses a content delivery service, which creates random urls, and pretty much any automated service will have to use them.

There are other methods which probably shouldn't be discussed publically, as that leads to those methods being bypassed.

One method that should be ok to discuss is just a Google search. It does them no good just to mirror your work, they need to advertise it just like you do.
I would note that even though the game was taken down, the reference they give to the spiders was never removed, and is actually the first return from a search.

I realise that they are just shitty little games, but for a first real try at self publishing, it was not a pleasant experience.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

You can block other sites from framing your game with the X-Frame-Options HTTP header or the frame-ancestors Content Security Policy directive. So there are existing mechanisms you can use to, say, only allow your site to display your game in an iframe.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic