Y8 is Publishing HTML5 games

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am

@netone it's alright to share your work. I mean you can host my game Banjo Panda on your site. :geek: Why would you not want to share you work? My early work is awful, I just don't link to it. :P

can just come along and rip it and stick it on his own site

The good companies will apologize and remove your games, if that is what you want. The bad ones, they don't recognize legal complaints and usually can afford armies of coders to disassemble stolen code.

At id.net we fight them with the Protection API. It's basically a list of known bad sites , and game devs can display a custom block message. I will make a note to add it to our Contruct 2 plugin, it will be useful to some.
B
S

Post » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 am

@eddieone. Of course , but sharing implies the creator's proven consent in some , preferably legally binding, form. Anything else is stealing.

Employing people to trawl the net ripping games for your site is not exactly getting creator consent.

Assuming the games are not "my first game" or shovelware or fanmade ip infringements then I'm sure the creator's will be interested in some type of deal. This would encourage creators to make better content allowing you to host better games , maybe even some exclusive quality content etc then the world becomes a better place for everyone.....
My in work shmup game CYBERSTORM DEVLOG - "That Terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead"
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Message: eddieone can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 3 URLS modified. Why?
Back in the Flash days, distribution happened without much input from devs. My first games where really bad, I earned a lot of money from ads though. Sadly, with html5 that problem hasn't really been solved. In short, using a license will make it clear how your game can or can't be used. Here are some examples of open source games with very nonrestrictive licenses, https://github.com/blog/2483-game-off-2017-winners If you want to be more restrictive, check non commercial licenses, though it has the side effect of blocking youtubers from doing let's plays as well, so it takes careful consideration. There is a good page that explains why companies like licenses, https://www.quora.com/Do-big-companies- ... rnal-usage

Of course we also do custom licensing if the game quality warrants at least a site lock deal. The better the game, the more detailed the license typically. Like a multiplayer, top title, with all the graphics is more likely to need a more complex license. You can reach the business team from this page. http://static.y8.com/upload I'm just a developer, so I fix things more than anything. :D
B
S

Previous

Return to Open Topic