You've been plugged on Indiegames.com:

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:10 am

@Fimbul

Yes, for me, "behavior" is one kind of plugin.

But the question is, many users does not know what is fsm, so I had not release this plugin.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 am

[QUOTE=Fimbul][QUOTE=rexrainbow] FSM (finite state machine) architecture could be implemented in plugin.[/QUOTE]A behavior would be better, I think, because it would allow you to have many objects in different states simultaneously.[/QUOTE]

That's still possible with a variable, as each instance of an object can have a different value for the same variable.

[QUOTE=Fimbul]I call functions a "custom action" (they're synonymous right?).[/QUOTE]

Close enough. Functions are entire event structures containing events, conditions, actions, groups, comments that get called as an action. So it works like this:

Event one:

Misc conditions
     - misc actions - place sprite somewhere, etc.
     - call function "function name"
     - other actions

Event two:

On function "function name" (this is a condition)
Other condition, such as is sprite visible
     - actions, sub events, etc.

As construct runs through the actions of event one, when it gets to the action 'call function "function name"' it puts event one on hold and immediately jumps to running event two. When it completes the event structure there, it goes back to event one and runs the rest of the actions there after the 'call function "function name"' condition. After finishing event one, it skips event two, because that only runs when then function is called.

[QUOTE=Fimbul]Why not apply the same thought to conditions? You can bundle a complex condition in a "custom condition".[/QUOTE]

It does seem like it would be potentially useful to people. I'm not sure if I would use it though, as it seems like an extra thing I would have to keep track of and remember what it did while reading code.

[QUOTE=Fimbul][QUOTE=arima]Hmm... Instance variable groups?[/QUOTE]Know what? That's actually better than what I proposed. As long as you could collapse the groups (both in the code editor and the layout editor), this should work fine.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea too, as long as typing a variable name would search inside all of the variable folders the same way typing an object name does. Having a ton of variables on an object can make it take longer to find the one you're looking for sometimes.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm

We have some plans to improve the functional and reusability aspects of events. However these are long-term plans - we probably won't be adding anything in the near future, but we do have some interesting plans for things like custom ACEs and event-coded plugins.Ashley2012-08-02 15:03:45
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Cool!
By the way, @Ashley, any hints to when containers are coming?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=Kiyoshi] Yeah i hope one day C2 will have scripting support in-editor :D[/QUOTE]
I hope it will never happened.
If someone need to write more code - please, use C#+XNA, or use Unity 3D with scripting.
Even people who use UDK, Unity3D and so on try to use Kismet or State mashines (like Antares for Unity3D).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:41 pm

What an informative discussion! And not a flame in sight!!

Don't see the fnords and they won't eat you!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General