Your experiences with C2 in education?

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi all,

We're keen to learn more about how Construct 2 is used in education. What have your experiences been so far?

- Where have you used Construct 2 and what did you teach with it?
- What went well and was there anything you found difficult?
- Any tips or tricks to share with other teachers/lecturers?
- Are there any features or things that could be changed about Construct 2 that would be important for education-specific uses?

Would be interested to hear any feedback :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:39 pm

The first and main issue here is the language. Nothing wrong with English or with C2, but could encourage people around world if C2 maintain a translated (or to document what changed, so, we could help on this) version for various kind of languages.

It's pure statistical, but 1 in 1000 know english here, and him maybe never minded about C2. By the other side, 1 in 10 kids wants make their game to play around and show for their friends, play together, etc, increasing their skills and introducing them to the Game Designer / Programmer world.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 am

I told my IT teacher once:
"Come on! I want to learn Construct 2 next year! Not this Geometer's sketchpad bullsh*t!"
That's it. I don't think he even listened to me and my friends I already introduced C2 to.
HARMLESS SIGNATURE THAT IS VIEWED BY OTHERS AS OFFENSIVE AND CONTROVERSIAL
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 am

I'm a lecturer in university. In this semester, i started a Construct 2 course. It's a pretty good experience. But i think we need more interesting tutorials. Most tutorials and games depends on platforms. I believe that Construct 2 can be used with more creative ways not with limiting games.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Well, I have prototyped an educational game for Linkit/Macmillian and also created an EBook Engine for demonstration purposes (with an ongoing project to proliferate it). But to teach kids to use Construct 2 to program games and apps is a different ball game altogether.

I am looking to create a series of tutorial videos for Construct 2 (as a subscription service), so you could say I hope to teach others... not necessarily adults, but kids as well. And if one thing is seriously missing from Construct 2, are proper tutorials - the kind with accompanying videos, presentation material, and exercises (targeted for kids) with sample solutions.

Stay tuned for this...necromaster2013-04-30 12:10:56
=========================================
If you are on Linkedin, join other C2 professionals and network on the Scirra Construct 2 Developer Group at https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=6732005
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

@mrcgkh - have you got any specific suggestions for the kinds of tutorial we're missing?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi @Ashley

I gave a graphic and animation course. In the beginning of the semester i planned to use Construct as a animation editor. Games are my second choice. But i see that animation abilities are more limited. In the beginning my idea is using image processing techniques with Construct 2, but i understand that it's not possible with offical plugins. And now we're focusing on games.

Another idea is creating web pages. You're not suggesting construct 2 as a web editor. But i believe with adding more features it can also be used for creating great web pages.

Tutorials about using technical animation processes will be nice. As an example a mapping feature like google maps.

Construct can be used like a general HTML5 engine. It can be used like a real Flash alternative. I never be a fan of Flash. But Flash is not only limited to games.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 01, 2013 7:05 pm

@mrcgkh - what animation features are you missing precisely? I'd also add I don't think web pages is a direction we want to be taking the product in at this time.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 pm

@Ashley

For example creating Powerpoint style animation capabilities, For examle chancing color of a specific pixel of sprite. Construct is missing per pixel animation abilities. But HTML5 supports this types of things.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Is this a community college? Excuse the brashness but you're using Construct 2 for everything but it's intended use?

Web design, use DreamWeaver. Animation use Maya and Flash.

I can't offer anything of value to the discussion, I'm not an educator, but I did use C2 with a bunch of non-programming business students to create a web-app; they loved the simplicity.

I'd love Scirra to whack some promotion material around to schools, especially KS2/3, I can't see how the program wouldn't be a hit and the government is always going about how it wants to encourage kids to embrace the computer, look at Raspberry PiMr E Bear2013-05-01 19:25:02
B
S
G

Next

Return to Education and Construct 2