Your experiences with C2 in education?

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:40 am

I use Construct 2 in my university basic game design class. This year I am having the students make the classic games from history. We are beginning with Spacewar!, Computer Space and Pong. Then moving to Donkey Kong, Pac Man and Space Invaders. They will remake their own versions of games as well. I have a Super Meat Boy prototype from one student in the works. It would be great to have example of those game mechanics on the site. I will be making tutorials of how we build these games but for instance I would love to be able to find a way to make the black hole from Spacewar! or the opening animations from Donkey Kong.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 am

I'm writing a C2 book in Chinese. And the most difficult part is to show accurate event/action settings on paper. Most of the time the tutor has to capture a screenshot of event sheets. Readers can find detailed parameters by examining action column. But it seems that there's no pure text mode to express event sheets including every parameters (please correct me if i'm wrong).
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:14 pm

I am currently teaching programing classes for the local homeschool coop group. I teach beginner classes and advanced classes. The class doesn't focus exclusively on construct 2 but I chose it as a way to introduce kids to concepts in game programing. The kids range in ages from 10-14 .

Construct 2 is a phenomenal tool, and its speed is what makes it work. I can focus on a specific concept and use built in behaviors to get everything else working. For a bunch of distract-able kids having something working in 10 minutes is super important. It is instant feed back. The only thing you have to worry about is the game code.

I really appriciate the work that has been done in c2. I love the quick bug fix turn arounds, and honestly, I only complain on the forums as much as I do because I like c2 so much. As far as improvements go, the direction that is being taken with c3 is what is important to me.

Being able to make behaviors via events, share events easily across projects , more "Object orientedness" (families inheriting from families) and so on.

On a specific level. I still think c2 needs the ability to insert an image editor side to represent a family. The visual nature of construct 2 is irrelevant in highly abtracted projects using alot of families. You can't see quickly what family you are referring to in the events.

I would also really love to object oriented style events where we create event sheets and attach them to a specific object, and if that object is a family object then certain groups or methods can be overwritten on objects that inherit. I'm sure you know what I am getting at here. If c3 maintained its quick and easy event editing, but allowed for more complex event descriptions, c3 would be unstoppable. As a user of unity, I could point out that the strength of unity is in the way it handles this. Fast passing of uid is also super important for function calling. If you want to use alot of functions, you end up having to get the uid of the object, pass it to the function, repick the object, and so on every-time you use a function.... which is a lot of work for something that is supposed to make things faster. If I may, there should be an option to maintain the sol when passing control to a function. that way you wouldn't need to do the repicking to get the object or objects in question. If you wanted a fresh sol then you would just check a box. This would be perhaps hard to add, but seriously, please think about it.

Thanks for listening, as always
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 am

Hi everyone I'm a teacher and I began to learn a week ago construct2, its so beneficial and fun
Actually I wanna create html5 simulations for education purposes in my classrooms I hope I can :)
Anyone who wants to contribute me I really appreciate
B

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 am

I'm currently teaching Unreal Engine 4/Blueprints at the college level. The course is 3D animation and game design. The students don't have any programming background so fighting with UE4 is so painful, I miss C2 SOO MUCH. There are all Macs in the labs so sadly I can't teach them C2. I asked the site IT if they could dual boot the machines with Window, but no-go.

I think C2 in a game design class is ideal since you don't spend a lot of time fighting with the engine and learning is steep. Just the same as C2 is great in a gamejam, it allows you to do a lot VERY quickly. Just really wish there was a Mac version! but I get it, Mac development is better these days, but still, industry standard for gamedev is Windows. I just somehow have to get the school to realize that!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 pm

jobel wrote:Just really wish there was a Mac version! but I get it, Mac development is better these days, but still, industry standard for gamedev is Windows. I just somehow have to get the school to realize that!

Hopefully when C3 will be released it will have a MAC (and maybe a Linux) version too.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:08 pm

@glerkud, I'm pretty sure it already says on their site that C3 will be supported on MAC.
Risk Rocket now available on Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:59 am

boriswillis wrote:I use Construct 2 in my university basic game design class.

do you require the students to have a Windows laptop for the course or does your university provide a lab with computers?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 am

We suggest that they have laptops but we have a labs that are available for them.
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:08 pm

I am looking to make a sequence of guide video clips for Build 2 (as a registration service), so you could say I want to educate others... not actually grownups, but children as well. Need some help on this.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Education and Construct 2