Your favorites features in C2 or things you'd love to see

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:53 am

I would like an array editor (and dictionary editor).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

A visual editor of arrays/database. So instead of importing CVS files, it would be nice to heave a simple spreadsheet editor/viewer to edit a database of information and view it during debugging directly in construct2. That would possibly make it more accessible for games that rely on huge chunks of stats and string data (like rpg games, this is one of the strengths of rpg maker over c2)

The other feature for me is- a native linux and macosx editor. I dont know how difficult it would be to get over the directx dependencies, but perhaps this would help?
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17827 ... inux-games

my fear is that microsoft is moving away from the desktop pc.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:17 pm

A Linux editor would be amazing. I know before they had mentioned having to rewrite it, but as you posted links to this DX to OGL thing, it should make things easier on that end!

Linux is becoming the primary gaming platform. As a matter of fact, if we are talking casual games (where the market currently sits nice and cozy) then Linux is already the primary platform for gaming. It only makes sense to have a Linux editor. Microsoft will likely retire as the business platform, the true successor to IBM. This makes it an inconsistent system with the direction of gaming. Luckily we have Linux these days, and it's not going to be a recurrence of the dark ages (the 1980's that is, too many platforms, no standard).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm in no way a Linux expert, and I'm not thinking "OMGOMGOGM WE MUST HAVE LINUX SUPPORT NOW!", but to be honest, if there was Linux support (NOT necessarily native Linux support, but advice on how to get it running most efficiently/stable under Wine or something), then I'd be a lot more driven to move on to Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu before and it's really nice, just feels like a lot to get used to and learn, and I can't work with C2 under it because Wine would crash when I view the layout editor, C2 is a primary application that I use daily.
Plus there's tonnes of hype going towards Linux thanks to Valve, and I have seen a lot of posts asking about Construct 2 in Linux, which suggests it'd be cool to have at least a method to run C2 under Linux.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am

Using open libraries would make it easier to port from Win to Lin. It's not about "omgomg linux support" it's about a people's platform. We're spending thousands on computers, more on software, so it's nice to know there is a free operating system that allows people who can't afford Windows (or simply don't want to use it, or can't use it, etc) to be able to get work done. It's everywhere. It's already in most consumer electronics for its ease of use for developers (and extremely low cost of $0.00, that's USD) and it's what powers Android.

C2 may be the best software out there for designing HTML5 games, but all the others (except Game Maker) have a Linux version.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 pm

roracle wrote:Using open libraries would make it easier to port from Win to Lin. It's not about "omgomg linux support" it's about a people's platform. We're spending thousands on computers, more on software, so it's nice to know there is a free operating system that allows people who can't afford Windows (or simply don't want to use it, or can't use it, etc) to be able to get work done. It's everywhere. It's already in most consumer electronics for its ease of use for developers (and extremely low cost of $0.00, that's USD) and it's what powers Android.

C2 may be the best software out there for designing HTML5 games, but all the others (except Game Maker) have a Linux version.

For me it's not a question of price, but of openness and pervasiveness. I'd gladly pay $500 for a version of linux as powerful as windows in all regards - the only reason I haven't switched is because
  • linux can be a bit funky requiring you to use the shell for some tasks (configuring X being one of them). Ubuntu is definitely making things better in this front, but not fast enough.
  • The software available isn't up to par. I miss adobe's Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/AfterEffects as well as Microsoft's Office suite. I also hate that none of my game dev tools are available for linux (not just C2, but also articy:draft).

I wish I could change to linux. I'd never look back.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:29 pm

I want an array editor too :roll: :oops: :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 pm

I'd like to see some more tutorials on pseudo 3D, so far I've only managed to find one(quite a complicated one imo). :(
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Nice to see that the expectations for the future aren't the same for everyone ^^
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Smolli wrote:I'd like to be able to rename functions and the new name be updated in all occurrences. Some sort of intellisense when calling functions would be great too. I always have to lookup how I named the function...

+1
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic