Your first favorite video game- what made it great?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • Hi all-

I've been thinking a lot about games recently and trying to make a game that will be fun to play- though limited by my noob skills. This has got me thinking of a lot of old games I enjoyed as a younger kid and what made them magical at the time.

So- What was the first game you loved? How old were you? What made it such an awesome game at the time? Does it still hold up to the test of time or have you grown out of it?

To me I was obsessed with the original NES Zelda, and the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I loved the epic fantasy theme, the open world, and the exploration elements. In those games there is a huge wide world that your character lives you have a heroic journey to undertake to save it. I could go on and on, but what about you??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • one of the first games i spent a lot of time playing was Turmoil on the ZX Spectrum

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0005471

simple gameplay but very addictive

• My first game was Super Mario Bros.

Nintendo really great in making games like that.

Somewhat challenging but totally superb!

• It would be a toss up between Jackal, Punch-Out! and TMNT 3 for NES.

• Bard's Tale 1, back in 1985. Changed my life.

• my favorite game of child hood is super maria love the cartoonic character and play for hours on my attari now a days it is hard to play with such amusement color switch on android is really addictive game similar to Orbit Jump Switch up Circle these are most addicted games which i have been playing for around 3 to 6 months

• I really started in the SNES times... so many great games that have been extremely challenging, for example Contra.

This made it genius!

• My first gaming system I got as a kid was the cartridge based Commodore 64, together with Outrun and BurgerTime. Great games but I was always jealous of my friends who had the NES with better multiplayer games.

Me and my big brother got the NES for Christmas about two years later that included the soccer game "Nintendo World Cup" and a multitap for 4 player action. Nintendo's "Ice Hockey" and "Bubble Bobble" gave us endless amount of fun, so versus or cooperative type of games became by absolute favourites.

• Hello,

My first game was the Mario/Duck Hunt. But I think that was the only platform series that I have really enjoyed.

To me I was obsessed with the original NES Zelda, and the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I loved the epic fantasy theme, the open world, and the exploration elements. In those games there is a huge wide world that your character lives you have a heroic journey to undertake to save it. I could go on and on, but what about you??

I also love the Zelda series and remember playing one of the Dragon Warriors for NES. Played RPGs as well such as the final fantasy series and some others (Lufia? don't remember the others as well).

So I guess what I liked about them is the open-world type exploration. In both the Zelda games and most RPGs you can kind of go at your own pace—explore every nook and cranny looking for secrets and loot, or head straight to the next dungeon, boss, or quest. I usually chose the former first, explore everything, level up and/or find helpful items. But it also made it exciting when I chose to risk it and push on before I thought I was prepared enough.

I also loved being able to see future secrets and getting exciting when getting the item required to get there. Zelda did this a ton - see a rock blocking a path early on. Later get a hammer/power bracelet and you can backtrack to unlock that secret.

I have been thinking a lot lately about what makes a game fun. Now that I am getting a little better with pixel art and Construct I realized I haven't even touched on making the projects fun. So have actually been thinking about this lately.

• Very nice topic my friend. From our busy works you remind us our childhood days. SUPER MARIO BROS AND SUPER CONTRA ARE MY FAVORITES . Mario is just amazing . After that i bought Sega game . I use to play Sonic in that, than ps3 ,ps3,ps4. My favorite in today's world is Uncharted 4. i am going mad about it.

• One of the earliest games I played when I was a kid was Donkey Kong Country 2 .. guess my parents didn't care about starting me off with the prequel. It was such a beautiful experience - every level had a unique ambience to it, and Dave Wise's music has stuck with me since I first heard his tracks in-game. As I got older and started "analyzing" games in more detail, I realized that not only was DKC2 great aesthetically, but the level design was so, so smart. I've kind of followed the game's design philosophy in my own creations.

Honorable mentions also go out to Sonic 2, ActRaiser, and Super Castlevania IV, all of which I grew up early on and loved.

• First game ever? Sonic in Mega Genesis

However that the most struck me as "hey, this game is good and really inspired me in gaming" are when i play PS2 games Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga. as a RPG games, the battle system, gameplay mechanics are really great for me. it inspired me to make game like that in the future

• I think the oldest for me is the DOS Game 'Alley Cat'. I played it several times from big cousin's 486 computer.

First you have to learn how to jump & avoid that bulldog. (& others) You have to get into the window for the mini games... Everything is so cute & silly.

The game design is quite unique. Colors are striking and that's part of the charm. (i think it has only 8 colors) It has those little cat animations: fast walking, swimming, being swept by broom & comical sound FXs that makes the game so lively! The opening music is so memorable!

• I will never forget the first time I played Kingdom Hearts, it was a magical time:) The amazing storytelling drew me in, I couldn't think of anything else but playing it until I beat it.

• For me it was Hercules, the disney game made back in the 90's. It was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. What made it special was how it totally transported me to another world and engaged my imagination.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)