Your first favorite video game- what made it great?

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:47 am

One of the earliest games I played when I was a kid was Donkey Kong Country 2 .. guess my parents didn't care about starting me off with the prequel. It was such a beautiful experience - every level had a unique ambience to it, and Dave Wise's music has stuck with me since I first heard his tracks in-game. As I got older and started "analyzing" games in more detail, I realized that not only was DKC2 great aesthetically, but the level design was so, so smart. I've kind of followed the game's design philosophy in my own creations.

Honorable mentions also go out to Sonic 2, ActRaiser, and Super Castlevania IV, all of which I grew up early on and loved.
Ruby Winds: a top-down adventure game inspired by the Oracle series of Zelda games.
Twitter - Devlog/Site
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:45 am

First game ever? Sonic in Mega Genesis
However that the most struck me as "hey, this game is good and really inspired me in gaming" are when i play PS2 games Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga. as a RPG games, the battle system, gameplay mechanics are really great for me. it inspired me to make game like that in the future
B

Post » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 am

I think the oldest for me is the DOS Game 'Alley Cat'. I played it several times from big cousin's 486 computer.
First you have to learn how to jump & avoid that bulldog. (& others) You have to get into the window for the mini games... Everything is so cute & silly.

The game design is quite unique. Colors are striking and that's part of the charm. (i think it has only 8 colors) It has those little cat animations: fast walking, swimming, being swept by broom & comical sound FXs that makes the game so lively! The opening music is so memorable!
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 am

I will never forget the first time I played Kingdom Hearts, it was a magical time:) The amazing storytelling drew me in, I couldn't think of anything else but playing it until I beat it.
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:27 am

For me it was Hercules, the disney game made back in the 90's. It was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. What made it special was how it totally transported me to another world and engaged my imagination.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Super Mario Bros and Harry Potter. It was the best games in my childhood
Banned User
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 pm

also NFS
Banned User
B
S