Your Ideas for a Great Horror Game

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 pm

i would first come up with the idea of the layout of your horror game.
- story-telling with great art
- dead space like but isometric
- sidescroller
- etc....

or whatever

something that brings the atmosphere you want to bring over to the point. ;)
depending on the layout you could also create some great jump scares.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Story, and the way its tell. i'am making a psycho game right now, i been working on it for about a year.
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 am

What about horror games where it's all quiet and suddenly there's a loud jumpscare? For some strange reason, the silence disturbs me as I wait for a jumpscare.
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am

Have the monsters come form all directions in an unexpected manner. I was playing a vr game in which I was in the middle and the robots attacked me from all sides, it made me really paranoid to make sure I was checking all directions. Got a bit scared once or twice haha:)
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:18 am

Gerardb91

can we explore your idea a little bit more? when the monster's were coming from all direction, in your opinion what was done correctly so that you ended up feeling scared and paranoid...as opposed to feeling annoyed because that was "random"? what did they do correctly to add to your fear as opposed to make you feel irratated that every now and then bunch of stuff attack you from all directions?

do you feel that would also work in a 2d game?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:25 am

My idea for a horror game is bring back mechanics from the past such as limited item inventory and tank controls and see how they fit into a modern game setting.

Seriously. First-Person and Over-The-Shoulder have been done to death these days.

And speaking of horror...

Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm

I like search and escape games with a good jump scare thrown in and a story to follow.

Not much scares me- except- clowns!!!

Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm

A strange tensed ambiance where you know something is wrong. Silence for a long time then a weird scream.
Something with trypophobia (link to a picture to avoid the disturbance: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK13CDoVAAA1PxF.jpg)

For the jump scares you can watch let's play to imitate what works the best.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:17 am

Hey guys.

I found something to inspire you for your horror game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cShyzvQKqs8
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 am

And just to add another layer to this topic, (just because I didn't wanna start a new topic that's so similar to this one) what makes for good horror these days? Like what is it that stands out as unique against the rest? So much has been done at this point.
Is it jump scares? Strange imagery? The mere possibility of a threat without there ever actually being a threat? I've noticed what I call "minimalist horror" seems to get a lot of attention lately.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas