Z order problem....?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 am

Hi!

I am using Construct 2 beta release, r120.2 (free version).

I am having trouble with this particular issue in my project. When I click on the instruction button to display the instruction window, other elements appear as well. I have checked the event sheet, and this is not supposed to happen.

I have also checked the Z order to ensure that the instruction window is always at the top of the layer.

I tried making the unneeded elements invisible when I click on the instruction button and display the instruction window, but when I close the instruction window, the animation that was playing seems to be missing an element.

How do I check for any errors or bugs in my project?

Thank you.
B

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 am

Debugging is a skill. Most bugs occur with variables not behaving as you might think they are. The best way to manually debug those is to create a text object called 'Debug' and have it show output for whatever variable you are trying to test or debug for.

As for your specific problem, do you have a capx you can share?
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:17 am

Hi!

I have posted a .capx file at this link. https://www.box.com/s/7eo2p59qg2ux3t5fdxud

Thank you for helping :)
B

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:18 am

Hi!

Can you elaborate on the part where you mentioned, " create a text object called 'Debug' and have it show output for whatever variable you are trying to test or debug for".

Thank you so much :)
B

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 am

Yes, for example, the latest build of my space game can be found here: http://exeneva.com/html5/SpaceGameV2

You'll notice I have updating information, most noticeably the FPS in the upper right hand corner. You can't see it, but I have in invisible text box on the left called Debug. I use this whenever I am testing a variable.

Can you share your file as single .capx instead of a zip?Excal2013-04-05 04:45:00

B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 am

Hi!

Here is the single .capx file: https://www.box.com/s/2m61pa74sr9yy0hd5cl7

Thank you :)
B

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 am

What other elements are appearing for you? I only see the instructions window when I click on it.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:18 am

Hi!

Which version of Construct 2 are you using?

These are the elements that are appearing and are not supposed to be there when I clicked on the Instructions button.

- SpoonWaterAnimation
- FlourWaterAnimation
- SpoonAlcoholAnimation
- The whole iodine bottle and its layers.
B

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 am

It's not the C2 version. That should have nothing to do with the output.

I'm rendering on Firefox and only seeing the Instruction window when I click the instructions button.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 am

Hi!

I rendered and previewed it on Chrome and IE, and the same problem still persists. Will try install Firefox and check if the same problems appear again.
B

Next

Return to How do I....?