Action-RPG Gamekit/SDK (WIP)

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
All you need to create an action RPG game, the Gamepack features sprites destined for instant use !
  • Big announcement! The SDK is finally releasing with a planned release between Q4 2021 an Q1 2022. Before then, packaged tilesets/etc will be sold in the asset store without the SDK.

Latest Pre-release Build: v1.1h1

Discord | Patreon | Trello (Feature Roadmap) | Gitlab (main-dev) | Issue Tracker (bugs)

YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Devlog Blog | Images/GIFs (lot of gifs/images, all the way back to build 0.3 from back in Feb 2016)

Latest News

6/20/2021: Release window decided, began to get back to work on sprites, etc

10/29/2018: Weather, fire spreading, temperature systems and day/night cycle implemented

10/12/2018: Debug mode and command console optimizations finished and in-game edit mode implemented

09/13/2018: Combat gamefeel and enemy AI major improvements made

This is a gamekit/SDK that I've been developing and has been in development for the past two years since February 22th, 2016. Come Feb next year, that will be three years if it's still not finished. It's in the style of oldschool classic 2D Zelda games, with a sprinkling of influence from Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. It is nearing completion and is in the final stages of development, if ignoring the last two features to be implemented (weather and day/night cycle system)

Credits:

Scirra + Nintendo

amiltonbr, for the original base this gamekit is partially based on (although, the capx has been stripped of most of that, save for the 8d movement)

schueppe, advice and discussion with me on how to handle ARPG mechanics in Construct 2

dpyellow, for his old Zelda capx I found (it helped me integrate a few things, namely the pause menu, shooting/passive AI and bombs/bow/boomerang)

R0j0hound, for his sliding against diagonal slopes example

C-7, for an example of ledge jumping and dynamic lighting

bbenny93, for the new replacement dialogue system (no more using a store-bought one, yay!)

patrons, thanks so much for the spare funding and dev-support/following

all those that showed interest here or elsewhere, thank you for letting me confirm my belief that this gamekit would do well

A list of currently implemented features:

*Tilesets for mapping, with original 16x16 resolution tiles (two tilesets, one on bottom for mapping, and one on top for setting collision detections for walls, etc)

*Eight directional movement with proper animation support

*Variables, gametext, and item configurable gamedata stored in arrays, set predefined by loaded JSON files (planning to replace them with hash-tables)

*Basic pickupable overworld objects (keys, rupees (green, blue, red, purple), hearts, etc)

*Signs, with proper textbox, font, letter by letter text, proper pausing and skipping

*Pushable blocks, they move 16 tiles per push, have animations and sound, and will not move if against an obstacle

*Switches, enough said (trigger on step, can be used to solve puzzles and can be set to deactive if stepped off of)

*Chests, animations and sound, can be locked

*Liftable and throwable objects (pots and grass as example)

*Zone based camera, restricts a zoomed camera to the current room

*Functioning doorways into other rooms (if on a big map, such as one floor of a dungeon or Hyrule Castle)

*Proper collision detection (solid walls, working stairs in a room, etc)

*Heart Pieces & Heart Containers

*Hearts and magic bar system

*Multiple AIs (standard hostile AI for Green Soldier, neutral AI for Buzzblob, ranged AI for Octorock, and example boss AI!)

*Functional Lamp, Bombs, Boomerang, and Bow (uses a function that different outcomes depending on which object is equipped, so it's unified and self-contained)

*Basic combat (collision detection, sword swinging, etc)

*Inventory system (with multiple page categories such as weapons, armor, food, etc and with equipable armor/weapons/etc)

*Sliding against diagonal slopes

*Jumping from ledges

*Working bridges that can be passed under/over

*Map-changing (such as going inside of houses)

*Lighting system (like in A Link to The Past's Hyrule Castle Sewers)

*Proper title/menu screen with save system support that uses LocalStorage, i.e similar to browser cache but is not lost upon clearing cache (also erasing/copying saves)

*Rebindable keys and gamepad support

*Grid movement system accurate to ALttP, which includes smooth movement (see this gif for example) and sub-tile movement (Link just doesn't move 16 by 16, he can also move a max of four pixels if the input pressure is gentle enough)

*Weighted random drops from pots and grass

*Dungeon mechanics (obvious, but example puzzles, floors, map/compass/keys, simple example boss AI etc)

*Object-environment interactions (such as lantern flames destroying grass-objects)

*Command prompt based debug/command console that saves messages to a .txt log, has various debug commands and utilities for if debug mode is toggled on, such as log messages to warn of possible errors or fps-lag, custom bounding boxes, printing object debug-data to console, etc

*Hash-table storage as reference for the game's many variables, self contained so the SDK is more self-reliant towards use of variables with code (such as to check a variable for a value or as a condition trigger)

*Weather/Temperature system

*Day/Night System

*In game engine edit-mode

Partially implemented/unused:

*Doorway transition animations

*Compiled tilemaps like this

Planned Features (in order of priority from greatest to least):

*Detailed starter/example map

• Neat, looks very promising!

Just like in the good ol' days, glad I'm not the only one loving the retro engines!

• Thank you! I managed to fix some issues with my patrolling AI, they used to have issues with properly navigating, at least with tight spaces. As a sort of temp workaround, I'm making sure they have ample room to patrol (might not be possible in certain cases, I'll try to work in pathfinding for such a thing, they already do that if the player crosses line of sight), and even then, running events to check if they collide with a family of objects (say, "Solids") and then if true, force them to immediately reset their current AI state and make another move.

• That looks like something that I could use on one of my dozens of conceived-but-not-started projects

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just polishing the basic game mechanics at the moment, making sure they're as near as close to game behavior in ALTTP. I might make some slight personal design choices though, such as that the cursor in the inventory is free moving instead of locked to available items if >2(can move to empty slots)

• Nice work so far!

• New build, a whole lot of new major features, including lifting/throwing pots, sliding along diagonal slopes, properly passing over/under bridges, dropping from ledges, and improved combat.

• Really beautiful, I will follow the evolution of your creature!

• Wow, Love it! I mentioned before that Kid Ic that I did Mario World 2-2, but in 2012 when I first tried Construct, my first thing was a small locked screen outworld area of Zelda 3 with respawning Octoroks that you faught. Also, just before the Kid Ic, my friend that helped with the advanced wrap behavior was helping with a procedural dungeon creator we were gonna use for a game like Isaac and Zelda, and I used Zelda 1 parts for it. So this is right up my alley. This is so next level though. I love how flexible it looks with the creation tools. Really well polished. I see your tilemap has lots of outworld assets. I wanna see more.

• Thanks for the kind words everyone. Only thing bugging me is that I haven't been able to get arpg combat down exactly.

• A Link to the Past is my favorite game of all times! Keep up the awesome work and I am sure you will get the combat right!

• Solved the combat issues just now!

• Amazing work!

• Update! New build video!

Probably the last one before the major stuff like layout changing and savedata implementation

• Hey, that's a big jump from the last one (and thanks for crediting me)! It looks quite robust already. Was the layout transition really like that in LttP? Either way, I'm not a huge fan of that, but overall this is looking fantastic!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)