Zelda Inspired Practice [Playable]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Basketball Practice is HTML5 game written in construct 2 and 3 engine that simulates hooping.
  • Update: (06/19/16)

Play here:

http://www.loubagel.com/archives/zeldapractice/061916/index.html

Updates:

• Map size expanded
    • Oasis added. Must traverse the desert maze to get to it
    • 2nd Enemy Type added
    • Random drops by enemies
    • Coins added (dropped by enemies)
    • Shuriken vending machine (too lazy to make full shop)
    • A few other surprises, including...
    • Last but not Least: Easter Eggs. Literally, 3 eggs hidden in desert. AJAX/PHP/mySQL table added to track who finds them. If that doesn't mean anything to you then simply put, when you find an egg you will know how many other have found it ("You are the 1st person to find this egg") and be able to submit your name.

Hope you enjoy and happy egg hunting! (feel free to comment and let me know if you find them or not!)

(will post more images in new post)

Original First Post:

Today, for practice, I decided to recreate from scratch something similar to Legend of Zelda.

Check it out here: (just one screen, will take 30 seconds. Keyboard required )

http://www.loubagel.com/archives/zeldap ... index.html

I probably worked on it somewhere from 7-9 hours. I thought I would be able to get a lot farther than this but I am still happy. The pixel art took up the majority of the time. I'm really new to art and pretty new to game development (haven't completed any games).

I'm always appreciative of feedback (I know animations aren't great—was trying to move on for time reasons) but I'm more interested to hear if anyone wants to share how they compare time-wise. As in, how long do you expect it would take you to complete this?

I feel pretty good about how much I completed in that time. As I said, I thought I would get much farther, but forgot how many animations required, the time redoing animations that look off, and troubleshooting event bugs. It's much easier though when you are copying a lot of features from a game you have played a lot!

The main reason I shared though:

Who doesn't love the Legend of Zelda?! Hope this will allow you to reminisce for a minute or two!

Screenshots:

• Thought I would update:

http://www.loubagel.com/archives/zeldapractice/052216/index.html

Added:

• Monster dropped items (haven't randomized the drops yet)
    • Zelda-style Camera
    • On-screen controls for mobile (touch screen to appear)

Learned a decent amount in the process, not sure how much I will continue with this practice project though.

Any comments appreciated.

Screenshots:

Heart Drop:

Touch-Controls

Camera-Pan

• Nice one man, I love this sort of stuff!

• Haha very cool indeed! I love the original LoZ... I think it was my most played title on the NES back when I was 8 or 10 years old...

*EDIT*

I noticed a bug - sometimes when you hit an enemy it "flies" toward you instead of away and it causes damage to the player. You probably already knew about it, but thought I'd mention just in case.

~Sol

• I noticed a bug - sometimes when you hit an enemy it "flies" toward you instead of away and it causes damage to the player. You probably already knew about it, but thought I'd mention just in case.

It's not a bug! It's a feature!!!

jk

Do you remember if it was only when the slime was jumping? I'm not sure if I have it setup for the normal movement to be overridden when hit.

• Tbh I can't say for sure. Maybe I hit it right as it jumped, but not certain. It seemed stationery each time that happened since I tried to attack only after the slime would move so that it wouldn't hit me. Perhaps it was due to jump again as I hit it.

• add screenshots !

• Why does he have to add screenshots?? Just play the game or not wtf!!

• Why does he have to add screenshots?? Just play the game or not wtf!!

Just a link doesn't generate much interest on it's own. People want more than that, especially an easy way to tell what a game is. A very quick at a glance means of looking at a game and being able to tell what it entails is pretty helpful, even for devs, since it'll generate interest much easier. Also, I'm sure having a lot of info will generate more interest too, as that's why I prefer threads that provide a full compendium of info, such as screenshots, devlog videos, feature lists, etc.

To be honest, just a link to a game isn't a lot to go on, especially if there are no screenshots to show visually for the mechanics and such. Also, please think about the fact that 'some people' may have difficulty getting a game's demo to run or it may be too difficult and bugged, particularly in a very bad unbalanced way.

• > Why does he have to add screenshots?? Just play the game or not wtf!!

>

Just a link doesn't generate much interest on it's own. People want more than that, especially an easy way to tell what a game is. A very quick at a glance means of looking at a game and being able to tell what it entails is pretty helpful, even for devs, since it'll generate interest much easier. Also, I'm sure having a lot of info will generate more interest too, as that's why I prefer threads that provide a full compendium of info, such as screenshots, devlog videos, feature lists, etc.

To be honest, just a link to a game isn't a lot to go on, especially if there are no screenshots to show visually for the mechanics and such. Also, please think about the fact that 'some people' may have difficulty getting a game's demo to run or it may be too difficult and bugged, particularly in a very bad unbalanced way.

Not bad points. Definitely good to grow some interest before people bail from a longer than expected load time. I will add a screen shot when I get home. Also, not to mention the fear of clicking on links to unknown websites - "what the hell is LouBagel.com?!"

Also, I've been meaning to look into this but haven't got around, so pardon me for asking before searching: is there a convenient way to make animated gifs or videos of the gameplay? I see posts all the time with that. I guess if I get in the game and go full screen I can take multiple screen shots I can piece together an animated gif. But I have a hunch there is a convenient program or something people are using.

• You should try licecap. I've suggested it before to someone else, it works super well, and gives high quality gifs. But keep mind that any gif longer than 5-10 seconds, will be 2-3 Mb or more, but it's a trade off for nice high quality non-grainy gifs.

Also, good job on this project. We're doing similar things, as I have a Zelda Gamekit in progress (link in my sig), so you can check that out too. Feel free to ask me for help, as I've gotten a lot of features implemented and can provide input on how to approach things.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I take a screenshot with printscreen on windows and then open paint and paste it there. Afterward I cut out the photo and resize it.

• You should try licecap. I've suggested it before to someone else, it works super well, and gives high quality gifs. But keep mind that any gif longer than 5-10 seconds, will be 2-3 Mb or more, but it's a trade off for nice high quality non-grainy gifs.

Also, good job on this project. We're doing similar things, as I have a Zelda Gamekit in progress (link in my sig), so you can check that out too. Feel free to ask me for help, as I've gotten a lot of features implemented and can provide input on how to approach things.

Thanks, I will check licecap out!

I skimmed your thread, I'll be interested to look at it further when I get home (at work now) and look at some of the videos. Do you have any playable/demo links of the mechanics or any capx links? And where did you get the art assets from?

I hope to work on it a little further this weekend. I want to add another enemy or two (need to do art and AI), add money/rupees to drops and a little shop, and make the world a lot bigger. Maybe add an entrance to a dungeon/castle (won't get to the actual dungeon yet). I'm attempting to make everything a little different so it is somewhat original. This probably won't turn into a game but wouldn't mind doing something similar sometime. So will try to keep up with your post as much as I can remember to.

Also, if anyone wants to see the capx or wants to know how to do something specifically I'm keeping no secrets. As people have already pointed out its not bug-free though.

• I plan to have something playable soon. I want to iron out some leftover bugs and finish implementing a full basic set of enemy AI (patrolling, wandering, shooting), i.e Green Soldiers, Buzzblobs, and Octorocks, as for what I mean.

I got the assets from spriter's resource but I ripped some from ALttP myself. I would love to see the capx as I could really use any help towards improving map switching and enemy AI.

• add screenshots !

Screenshots added

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)